close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

paint creek today

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by traphunter, Jan 9, 2005.

1. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Went to paint creek today from 7am to 6pm with fishfinder and we did okay.:) We caught around 150 saugeye but just no size to them at all. Biggest was probably 12 inches.

The was only a few people there that I saw releasing their fish, most of the fish caught ended up in a fish basket or on the bank. :mad:

2. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

Traphunter - so what do you use for bait at this time of year? Did you see anyone catching crappie? Thanks...

3. "All dinks but some of them taste gooooooooood!!!!!!!
    Fishcrazzzzzzzzy"

4. I was at the spillway yesterday too. C&R'd nearly two dozen very, very small saugeye. Kept waiting for the "straggler" that would be decent size but they never came. Virtually all were 6" - 10". (Traphunter, I think I was just to the right of you on the wall. Thanks again for retrieving that bobber that got away!) From where I was fishing, I probably observed well over 100 s-eyes caught, but only saw one (yes, just one) that was much larger than 12" (and that one was only about 13-14"). Somewhat surprising that there were virtually no larger or even mid-size ones mixed in - I would have expected at least a few 14" - 17"s, but saw none. Are these larger s-eyes in holes further downstream during very low outflow or are there some around the spillway that just aren't inclined to compete with the scads of 8 inchers that chase every jig? Any thoughts?

Got one keeper size black crappie (cool to catch a black - don't see them too often) just at dusk. That was the only non saugeye catch of the day.

5. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Eyewish, yep that was me, I try to help people out anytime I can.

I am glad to see you released all of those small saugeyes, at least I know there are at least 3 people now that release all of them dinks. I observed the group to my left catch and keep at least 30 of the 6-8 inch saugeyes, and then they had the nerve to complain about the lack of big fish they were catching. Thats my theory of the lack of big fish there, most of them get taken out before they can get big.

Hopefully in a few years our efforts will pay off releasing the dinks and we will catch more and bigger fish.

Eyewish, if you want to hook up some time and do some fishing there again just post and I will usually be able to make it.

ps. The outflow as of 1pm. this afternoon is around 6000cfs. so it might be a couple weeks before it fishable again.

6. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I was mainly using chart/pink twisters, and pink and silver tubes fish about 2 foot under a bobber.:)

7. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

I'll guess the majority of the fish caught are this year's stocked fish as opposed to fish that have been there a while? Saugeyes are hydrid and do not reproduce, correct? If people keep everyone they catch, what's left to grow up?

One more reason people are stupid. We are the only species on Earth that will deplete a resource to extinction at our own expense.

UFM82

8. traphunter

traphunter Guest

One more reason people are stupid. We are the only species on Earth that will deplete a resource to extinction at our own expense

Thats so true! :eek:

You do not know how hard it is for me to hold in my anger when I see crap like that happen!:mad: Most people have no respect at all for our natural resources and they take it for granted everyday. Well one day it just wont be there for them to take for granted.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  9. I totally agree with the selective harvest outlook that you both seem to be talking about, Traphunter and UFM. It bugs me to see folks stuffin 7" saugeye in their buckets. But I recognize it's their legal right (up to 6 per day). In my view, it's their right, but just not too smart and kind of selfish - taking & cleaning a tiny fish for one bite. But I generally keep my view to myself, as I wouldn't want someone telling me how to do it if I'm within my rights. (It's another issue, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some overbagging going on down there too).

But the point of my last post was really something else that interests me about these fish and how they relate to and get affected by the spillways. Out in the lake, there's a pyramid of any species - saugeye let's say. Lots of small yearlings, fair amount of mediums, just a few trophies. If the spillway weren't constantly dumping water and fish, I'd buy your suggestion that the reason we saw only yearlings yesterday was just overfishing. (I'm sure that's at least a big part of the reason. but is it something else too?) We saw well over 100 s-eyes yesterday and every one was very small. (No doubt there were lots more of these yearlings in the spillway too that no one caught.) Out in the lake, for every 100 yearlings, there's probably 15 or 20 (?) two yr olds or older. Were all those larger ones in the spillway fished out in the few days since they slowed down the water? Or are they not washed through in the same proportion size-wise that exist out in the lake (in other words, do the yearlings get washed thru in higher percentages)? Or do the larger ones move downstream somewhere for a while (or permanently) when the flow slows way down like it was yesterday? Or were there some larger ones in there under our noses but just not active for some reason? Probably some combo of all of the above. I just thought it might be something more than just overfishing causing this 100% dink population. It's rare for me to see that many fish in a day. When you see that many, you think you're probably seeing a statistically significant reflection of the population. This is what i was wondering about as I wore out my arm C&Ring 8-9 inch s-eyes..... I'd be interested in anyone's theories to explain it further.

Incidentally, when I was down there last time on New Yrs Eve, saw a huge (4-5 lb) largemouth floating about 150 yds downstream from the tube when the water was gushing out. (not sure if it was dead or stunned by its ride thru the tube) Got me thinking about how the larger fish are possibly more likely to get killed, hurt or at least stunned when they get shot thru the tube.

10. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Muskie Chaser

Deep hooked would not have swam very much more so, I ate it 10 inches long, I should have clarifed my statement.
    Fishcrazzzzzzzy Took 1 out of 100 returned.
    Just a thought but would'nt ODNR put on more strick limits and even size limits if it was going to hurt there project.
    Bring in a petiton to have size limits!!!!!!!!!! :D
    Fishcrazy

11. You've heard of pop corn chicken 6- 10 inch saugeye make great fish fries. :)

Sorry guys, I don't like taking dinks either. 12 inch and longer look ok if you have enough to make a mess.

If you think about it I wonder if the creek down there would support many fish like the numbers you have caught? I doubt if many could get back n the lake so that many fish wouldn't gain much size anyway? Just a thought. I don't want to start anything.

12. fishfinder

fishfinder trying

Went down there with traphunter and I was also kinda mad about what I saw. :mad: People keeping those dink eye's. I see keeping a few if you are catching a lot of nice size ones, but keeping those small ones doesn't make sence.Your not going to get much meat from a 6 inch saugeye.But as said before it is there right to take them. If anything is going to happen to save our fish populations(not just saugeyes) there has to be stricter limits. Even limits on fish like foriging species like carp. If this would happen I think our waters would produce more qaulity fish.