Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went fishing Friday morning at Paint Creek Reservoir - water was clearing up and the wind was lower than usual. There were quite a few people out there fishing for crappie, but it didn't appear to me that anyone was doing really well. Most were fishing with minnows under a bobber, but I tried using several types of 1/16 oz jigs tipped with worms. I fished along the North shore line of Paint Creek, where it flows into the lake, and then along the East shoreline of the lake near the campgrounds, but only hooked up with about 5 white and 3 black crappies. I caught one nice largemouth along the Campground shoreline on a Repala jointed minnow, but that was about it. I never hit any Crappie Holes - all my catches were singles. I'm sure others more familiar with the lake did better. The weather was great (overcast with intermittent light showers). Because I was fishing from a canoe, I found it hard to keep the boat on a point - my single anchor was dragging and the wind kept turning me around. I need to come up with a better anchor system that secures both ends of the boat. Anyone have any ideas for a bow anchor that can be released from the stern of the boat (hard to move around in a canoe without tipping her over).

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Sometimes the wind makes it difficult-to-impossible no matter what, but I did not notice strong wind in Dayton on Friday. That doesn't mean it was not blowing hard at Paint, though. A small lighter weight anchor would help and would be the easy way for repeated use. And my solution as a one-anchor boater is to work the calm side of the lake in these conditions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts