close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Paint Creek.................. help!

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Rooster, Jun 28, 2004.

1. I will be fishing at Paint Creek from Wednesday to Monday. I have only fished the lake a few times, and without much luck. I have a campsite right on the lake and plan to do some 24hr a day multi species angling. Any tips on bass, cats, or carp would be greatly appreciated!

Some questions:

Does the main lake hold any LARGE flatheads, or would they be limited to the creeks?
    Are there any smallies in the river below the spillway (are there any public access point alone this river)?
    Anyone else fishing at Paint Creek over the long weekend?

2. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I have never caught any flatheads out of the lake, but I know there is a good drop off right in front of the campgrounds so it would probably not be a bad place to try. If you want to try fo some nice size gills for bait drop an ice jig with nightcrawler down the rock wall and you should catch alot. I have never caught any smallmouth below the dam, but have caught and seen some nice largemouth caught there. I know there are smallies in there though because I have seen people walking out with them on their stringers.

3. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

i hear theres plenty of nice flathead in that lake, i havn't had much luck at all, but i'm goin alot more to find some nice spots, i hear theres a nice place for flathead by the campgrounds

4. Thanks for the help! I plan to concentrate my bass fishing on some of the ledges and creek channels. I guess that I will be using some deep diving crankbaits, jigs, and spinnerbaits. Might even try drop shoting some Senkos! Does the main lake have a good population of shad? That is, are shad a major food source for the main lake? I hope to get some shad from the spillway, and try for cats in the same creek channels. Hopefully, I will be able to go for both carp and cats right from the campsite!

5. Hey Rooster,

The lake does have a real good population of shad.

I sent you a pm. I may be down there friday myself. I will look you up and maybe show you the lake from my boat. I have to check my schedule at work I'm either off friday or monday. I have a green top and white bottom ranger bass boatwith roadman down the side..

6. catking

catking Banned

Flatheads- Yes, in the flats in about 10-12' of water at night, a few great coves with this type of water/structure.

Bass- LM bass-probably in the top 10 lakes in Ohio for bass, seriously ;)

Smallies- yes, in the creek, along with crappie

Deep cranks would be a good choice,along the ledges. The island by the campgrounds is a pretty decent spot for cats :cool: GOOD LUCK !!! THE CATKING !!!

7. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

This one's from Cowan Lake 2002

Attached Files:

8. Hey Jim,

That pic brings back a few memories.