close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pacu in Eastwood

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by lpead, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Heard about this today. Kind of interesting and not controversial.

Cousin of piranha found in Eastwood Lake
    Click-2-Listen
    By Jim Morris

Staff Writer

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Imagine the surprise when 10-year-old Justin Gilbert of Miamisburg pulled what he thought was going to be a catfish from Eastwood Lake on a Thursday fishing trip with his grandmother

He was fishing from the bank with a nightcrawler, when his catfish pole was bent just about in half as he landed a 9-inch pacu, a South American freshwater fish that is related to a piranha.

2. shadesplace

shadesplace Game Champion

That would give you a scare. Makes you wonder how many more might be lurking around the waters. Swimmers beware......

3. What should scare you is what other exotic species have been thrown in our waters careless idiots? It is already a problem from the great lakes down to the ohio river. Count how many different water plants you dregde when fishing most ponds and lakes.
    When is was in the Corps i was stationed in guam, that eco system was and is so screwed-up, it will never recover. And when i read about different animals being pulled from lakes and rivers that are a long way from home, i wonder what was going through the mind of the idiot that released their pet. In my opinion, it is far worse then littering; we can clean the litter.

4. You have a better chance getting struck by lighting or dieing in a car wrech. that getting hurt by an idoits pet they let loose. These are rare occurises finding these animals but it shouldn't happen at all. People shouldn't buy animals like that just because their cool. We are a crocodilian rescue and do educational programs. We receive many rescues every year because of inresponsible buyers. People need to think out their decisions more. Ronnie

5. Oh, I'm not concerned about be eaten by a fish or croc. My concern is plants and animals that can thrive in our area, and have no natural enemys. Something as simple as dumping your aquarium in a lake or stream can create problems. When a south american fish is caught in ohio, i think it just underlines the issue.

6. I totally agree look at zebra mussels and gobbys. How did gobbys get in lake Erie. Ronnie

7. Thankfully pacu dont have the teeth like piranha do and require really high water temps(about the mid 80 range) so it would not survive a winter. It was a young one because they reach almost 3 feet long. It is yet the sign of a major problem of people buying fish without researching it and just dumping them when they get too big. Hopefully no one drops anything with a habitat requirement similar to ours.

8. They were intdroduced in to lake erie from the ballast tanks of ships. I believe that that is how zebra mussels were introduced as well as other species that are not supposed to be there. Zebra mussels were tranported to cc by the bilge pumps of small boats. Have you seen how many zebra mussels are in the creek below the spill way. If they haven't made it the the lmr they will eventually.

9. CCRiley2

CCRiley2 Bass-turd

I wonder if these pacu are starting to adapt to our waters.
    I've been hearing of these fish being caught, at least once a year.
    I remember the first time I heard about was in a private stone quarry in Jamestown. This was around 1994.
    If it is the same fish, they are vegetarians.

10. They would die in the winter the water temps get too cold. This fish was released this spring or summer. Probably in the last couple weeks because they are captive fish readily take baits. Ronnie

11. south american exotics have been showing up for years, they all die during the winter though on the ohio river there have been pacu and piranha shocked in the winter at hot water discharges, but its very rare. i do know that locally people have caught piranha, pacu, tilapia, and arawana (i caught that one), that have been dumped in ponds ect.
    and zebra mussels are in the lmr however they dont seem to do very well, i dont know why but they are in the ohio and cc and you almost never see them in the lmr, same with the whitewater river

12. iteech

iteech Shebasser

Last summer I had the grandboy out at a community pond in Beavercreek when a kid walked over to us and said "could you please tell me what this IS???" I couldn't believe my eyes but I've had tropical fish tanks for many years, and there was no denying it was a huge Oscar--the biggest one I've ever seen, probably two pounds. I know you say they can't make it through an Ohio winter, but really I wonder if they CAN adapt...a man came over and said "yeah, I caught that out of here LAST summer!" I wasn't thinking, I would have told him to not put it back in the pond...but he'd tossed it in before I could speak. They are enormously aggressive and huge eaters--if anything could ruin a pond, they could. Hope it isn't still there, but I wouldn't bet it died...:mad:

13. It takes animals thousands of years to adapt. They can't do it in one season. I would bet that many people release oscars because they buy them small and they grow so fast. In Miami FL you can catch oscars in the cannals around Miami because the water doesn't get cold. I have caught them down there. A biologist I know has shown my pics of five pound oscars. It is crazy on how many exotic animals can servive in Miami and Southern FL. Ronnie

14. According to the following link, the Pacu was caught in the Ohio river.

http://www.wftv.com/news/13446647/detail.html?taf=orlc

Which would make more sense since God knows what is in the Ohio and also since Pacu aren't generally considered pets so it would be a 1 in a billion chance that someone had one and tossed it in a lake.

Edit: I just came across a link on Google that says there was actually one in Eastwood lake but the thing won't pull up so who knows? Maybe just another urban legend?

15. They are not rare as pets,they are quite common in aquarium shops and I have know quite a few people that have owned them.

16. Every pet store sell's them. Ronnie

17. Hmmn...was not aware of that. Guess ya learn something new everyday.

I see pirahna all the time but never came across Pacu.