Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ohio State Alumni 05'
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some areas in the lawn that are in need of more grass. I just picked up 10lbs of grass seed. When is the best time to put this down? I keep hearing "early fall", but that doesn't tell me much in the way of date.

Akron, Ohio area.....

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
a buddy who is a horticulturist, swears the best time is in february or march..before the last heavy snow. the snow melt will help force the seed into the soil and it will germinate when temps are right.

·
Registered
16,935 Posts
You can do it now. We're getting cool nights 50 degrees and we proabably won't get many 80 degree days.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
a buddy who is a horticulturist, swears the best time is in february or march..before the last heavy snow. the snow melt will help force the seed into the soil and it will germinate when temps are right.
this is correct, my wife is also a horticulturist. The freeze and thaw of later winter, early spring helps tp work the seed into the soil. The 2nd best time is in the fall, early enough to let it get established before winter.

If you're like me, do it both times :D

·
Kiss The Converse
4,560 Posts
ask parmabass, he's a pro on that subject.
My education means nothing on this website, you'll see:)!!! Fall = Now.... Cool nights and keeping the seed moist are the 2 most important things that will help speed the germination process. Rough up the area with a hard rake, put the seed down and rough it up again to get the seed in contact with the soil, and water it daily. Don't soak it, just keep it moist.

I'll argue that Feb/March is NOT the best time to grow grass all day! Is your lawn green in Feburary or March? Mabey late April, but not Feburary (in NE ohio anyway). You can plant it (sow it) in Feb/March, but it won't grow until your lawn starts to grow (soil temp). It'll take 2+ months to grow or 2 weeks, your choice. IF you'd get a hard freeze after the seed is down in Feb/Mar you might only get a 50% germination and would end up re-seeding in May anyways..... Last frost in the Sping - end of June and again Labor day - mid October is the best time to plant/grow grass seed IMO...

·
Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)
5,882 Posts
whats the best "species" of grass to grow in Ohio?

my front yard gets about 80-90% full sun in the summer (faces south)....what is the best type of grass that i should get to grow there? i have tried perennial rygrass and kentucky bluegrass...should i keep trying the bluegrass or is there better "sunny" grass"?

in the back (north side) i have this shady mix and it has about 3 different kinds of fescues i think, seems ok.

what grass types do you lawn pros recommend?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts