close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

overdrive light blinking????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fishingful, Jul 1, 2005.

1. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i have a 1995 ford ranger when i get up around 50mph the overdrive light starts blinking anyone have an idea what that means???? thanks

2. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

3. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Am I correct? You get a shift into 1, 2 and 3 but no shift into OD- if you press the button, nothing happens, right?

V6 Ranger? If it is, there is a clip on the overdrive valve spool that breaks and sticks the plunger in the valve body- you'll get no overdrive. When you start the truck up, hit the switch to turn off the OD right away. As you drive, the light will stay on constantly that says O/D Off. It won't hurt the truck but your mileage will suffer as you don't have O/D anymore. There was a TSB on the E4OD trannys in the mid-90's about this clip. I had to do my wife's '96 Taurus when it happened. The clip was $2.00 and the gaskets ran me $45 for both the pan gasket and the side cover gasket. You won't have the side cover gasket as you have rear-wheel drive. I did the work in my garage in about 4.5 hours and the car now has 100,000 miles on it. (It broke at 75,000) Nothing like taking it out on the road test and felling it shift smoothly into OD- and not paying $2,000 for an overhaul like any shop would have wanted to charge me.

If you have any contacts at a dealership, have them search the TSB database for that problem and see if that isn't your probelm. If it is, you shouldn't have to pay anymore than about $400-$500 bucks to fix it, unless you are mechanical yourself.

Good luck- don't let them tell you an overhaul is needed- it's not.

UFM82

4. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

it is a 4 banger yea it dosent want to shift into 4th it is fine driving around town but when i get on the hiway it starts blinking................i tried turning the od off and my check engine light came on a few miles later.........it shifts hard sometimes too kind of slams into the next gear.......jim