close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Over limit fish

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CHOPIQ, Dec 15, 2004.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Man, what is it with people.

2. It is good to see that the state's DNR is doing something about the problem. They will think twice next time if they want to keep their boats. I would have to believe that their boats are worth a lot more than a few sunfish.

3. CountryKat

CountryKat Fish On!!!

Good to see the system working. Some of those fish look to be pretty nice size. Breeders.

4. catking

catking Banned

With our general population growing in leaps and bounds, and the pressure of more anglers, the only thing that will stop this is # 1 take all the gear. # 2 -heavy fine #3 JAIL TIME must be mandatory . Somebody who has 200 over the limit needs to be locked up....... CATKING

5. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

I agree with all of you that breaking the law is wrong, but....Isn't it just a little ironic that if someone were to post that kind of success on this site from local waters, everyone would be saying what a good job that person did? Isn't the population of Minnesota vastly lower that that of Ohio? Isn't Minnesota the land of 10,000 lakes?

6. Elamenoppee I can see your point. If memort serves correctly the possesion limit in Minn is the same as the daily limit so there is no stocking up the freezer for winter. 20 gills would not last to long for me. I am glad it is different in Oh.

Scott

7. I was in Minn. a couple of years ago on a fishing trip. Their total posession limits suck. I can see maintaining their fishery, but....! Still, these guys need to be hammered! By the way, if you get a chance to go, the fishing up there is fantastic!:D

8. CountryKat

CountryKat Fish On!!!

I never thought of it that way. Possesion vs daily. If thats the case I have had some fillets in the freezer that would have put me OVER the possesion limit but I was still under my daily limit. I'm sure we are all guilty of this at one point in time or the other. I guess I should read the rules a little closer.

I would still never keep 300 panfish on a outing, thats just wrong.

9. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Froggy...first off, welcome back...I think.

Secondly, I don't see how anyone posting that kind of success, on this site, or any site, would be applauded for breaking the law. Am I missing your point, yet again?

10. Good call Shakedown! I was thinking the same thing.;)

11. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I dont think Ohio has a limit on Bluegills?..We need them on all fish, in most if not all waters.

12. I don't know of any of the places that I fish that have appeared to be overfished in terms of bluegills. I have been to some that seen to have an overabundance of them and particularly smaller sizes. It seems that in most areas there just is not a very large number of folks who target the gills. Who knows? I could be way off in terms of waters that I do not fish.

13. I've been able to to have some great catching days when the fish are vulnerable (especially on private water), but I've never kept the entire catch. I usually start culling after 2-3 dozen. Limits are necessary to keep people like this from damaging the fishery. This becomes vastly more important at times when the fish are vulnerable and can be caught in huge numbers.

I know there is a difference between # of eggs, survival rate, etc... And that panfish like gills and crappie reproduce very well, but a situation like this illistrates the need for regulations.

Would anybody's opinion on this matter change if those were Smallies or Muskie?

I guess the DNR in Minn has taken a "hardline" approach.

14. Yes I would see the violation as much more serious if it were bass, muskie, etc. Perhaps that is because I have had my opinion influenced by the fact that Ohio does not protect the bluegills like they do in states like Minnesota. It just seems that the impact of overfishing bluegills is normally not as bad as other species for the reason that you stated. They are a very good multiplier and tend to handle their population pretty well. I imagine if we had people taking large numbers like that out of our bodies of water on a regular basis I would be a bit concerned. But with the resiliency that they display for regrowing a population, I think they would bounce right back.

I may be way off base here. But can anybody cite a situation where a bluegill fishery has been overfished - other than a local pond situation?

15. Some people just don't get it.............

Again the old zero respect for panfish attitudes.....

Any lake "overrun" with runts is OVERFISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I have posted this many times i will repeat it again- the reason you have lotys of "runt" panfish is OVERHARVEST of big bulls. The big bulls emit pheromones that delay sexual maturity (and non-mature fish grow faster). You deplete the fish over 8" and then the smaller fish become sexually mature and the growth rate plummets. BTW. A 9" bluegill in OH is 10 years old!!! I NEVER keep bluegills 8" or bigger. My personal slot is 7-8" and I never keep more than 12. Also be aware that lakes that are heavily ice fished can be severely depleted. Overharvesters can easily wipe out all of the mature bulls for hundreds of acres of water by cleaning out a small area. Same concept as wintering holes for other fish.

16. catking

catking Banned

You are wise beyond your years......... ;) .....THE CATKING !!!

17. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Very nice MB. Like it or not the law is the law. You guys think the states are bad about limits., you ought to see Canadas new laws. I've been going there for 29 years and have seen the daily limits drop to 1- trout, no walleye in our area. Bass limits are at 3, pike at 3, muskie at 1. I understand why they are doing it though. It is to assure there are fish left for futher fisherman to enjoy. I have seen the fishing get tougher every year. In may you can catch many many smallies daily but there is a closed season until june 18th. Northern pike are there but not the sizes. I don't have a problem with setting a limit myself. I just take what I will eat and enjoy the rest of the time catching and releasing. Taking what ever amount you want does hurt the fish population. I've seen it happen. With the new limits Canada passed we are seeing better sizes and increasing numbers returning.

18. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Thanks and YEP! ;)

That kind of a catch in Ohio would be considered an accomplishment and it's legal to do it. I've seen post were 70 crappie have been taken and I think it was me and MA who disagreed with its glorification.

If you think of it, that really isn't all that much fish, but in Minnesota, it's illegal, in Ohio, it's not.

19. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Sad thing is if all those bluegills were caught and kept in Ohio, it would have been completely legal? Correct me if I am wrong.

Ohio really needs to have some major limits on EVERY species of fish in EVERY body of water.

Last year while I was fishing at Rocky Fork Lake I saw some dude catch and keep probably at least 60 big bull gills. I was like man what is the point in that? As I fished some more I started to notice a very nastie smell coming from the dumpster. I went over and looked to see what the smell was coming from and they was about 3 ft. of filleted bluegill literally stacked up in the dumpster, which probably equalled up to 500-600 bluegill.

I also seen people keep over 200 crappie from cowan lake.

And yet some say we dont need limits! :rolleyes: