Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With trolling being one of the most popular ways to fish for walleye, why do you not see boats using outriggers? My new (to me) boat has them so might give it a try.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If you have them I would use them, there is no reason they wouldnt work. you could not get as far to the side as you could with a board but it would be a nice way to spread some lines out. You can run multiple lines off one rigger as well. Youll more than likely need to switch out the clips

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Their more popular for salmon fishing on Ontario and Michigan as well as in saltwater. I think because those in those scenario, their running less lines and deeper. For walleye, we sometimes need to run shallow and further away from the boat. But as mentioned, if you have them, use them. There is a guy in Ashtabula who had them on his Wellcraft Coastal and uses them.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
My boat came with them too and I have used them on and off for certain situations over the past 3 years that I have had them. I have used them while tournament fishing when small fish were a problem in both handling 100+ fish in a day faster and just recognizing you had a fish on, I would use a rubber band in the clip and you could see the length of the band as it stretched with extra weight. They are much fast than boards so you could detect a small fish get it in and be fishing again much faster than with boards. Plus when you get a big one that Whoosh of the line snapping out of the clips is super cool!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Another quick tip, the mini discs run great out of them and you can gain some more width to your spread if you need.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Over the years I’ve seen many use them and they do work and catch fish. Having said that, they do not out fish big boards.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Why would you run outriggers if you are running boards(big or little)? The idea is to get your lures away from the boat. Outriggers do that, but not far enough. You’re just asking for problems running outriggers with boards running jets or dipsys.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have them too. I find it much better to run inline boards out for walleyes. Much wider spread. I do use the for salmon fishing. I run big dipsys off them. That way we get more spread with wire lines. Plus you can run the a dipsy out on the rigger line out of the water past the other lines than drop it and feed line out. If it was a real flat day maybe for walleye.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Why would you run outriggers if you are running boards(big or little)? The idea is to get your lures away from the boat. Outriggers do that, but not far enough. You’re just asking for problems running outriggers with boards running jets or dipsys.
Who said running outriggers and boards at the same time?

·
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input. Most of the time I'm fishing solo or with 1 other person. In my old boat I would just run my lines straight off the back and/or the sides with jets or dipsy's. I just don't like messing with the boards. Catching a quick limit is never my mission but I do manage to catch my fair share. I prefer drifting and casting but I do troll as well. Since I have the outriggers I'll experiment with them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
So I guess your mind was made up before asking the question. Like I said, they do catch fish, but anything will these days. If the fishing ever goes back to where technique really matters, your going to find that other techniques will out perform the outriggers.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Thanks for the input. Most of the time I'm fishing solo or with 1 other person. In my old boat I would just run my lines straight off the back and/or the sides with jets or dipsy's. I just don't like messing with the boards. Catching a quick limit is never my mission but I do manage to catch my fair share. I prefer drifting and casting but I do troll as well. Since I have the outriggers I'll experiment with them.
If your fishing 6 or less lines you can definitely benefit from them at times.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
i have run 6 lite bite slide divers 2 downriggers and 2 outriggers with mini divers and had minimal problems. have had good days and bad days. if the fish are running shallow the outriggers do well. you have nothing to lose by trying them. but if your fishing solo or with 2 why not just run 3 or 6 divers. the last time i fished was july of 18. the last day we landed 30 keepers with 6 lite bite divers in 4 hrs and 45 minutes. at 2 hrs we had 18 fish then it stopped. we turned around and got the other 12. that was with some throw backs. we were to busy with the divers to even fish the downriggers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts