Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am booked with my wife and son at the Outpost Lodge in Ontario next month. I am seeking fishing information on the place, as well as general information about what to bring, expect to see, etc. For example, I read that the lake the lodge is on doesn't offer walleye fishing, but may be good for smallmouth and pike and lakers? Any and all advice is welcome!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Google "Lake Jobamageeshig" for some info that will help you.

Wouldn't recommend fishing from kayaks on these lakes, especially Tunnel, unless you and your family are experienced at kayak fishing.

August is probably too early for any salmon runs in the area, but you can check with the Little Rapids general store, 705-842-3717.

If your route takes you through Michigan and the Soo (much less traffic than the Niagara -Toronto route), you can get good home cooking and baked goods at Bobbers restaurant in Bruce MInes, Ontario.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If your route takes you through Michigan and the Soo (much less traffic than the Niagara -Toronto route), you can get good home cooking and baked goods at Bobbers restaurant in Bruce MInes, Ontario.
I'll second that, along with home baked pies, hand dipped ice cream, and incredible pastries.

ALSO, next door is the Bavarian Inn, a must for dinner if you are in the area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Twenty-some years ago, we had a GREAT Friday fish fry dinner at the Bavarian Inn.

Seems like whenever we've passed through the area since then, the restaurant hasn't opened for the day. Good thing Bobbers is right next store.

If you travel through Mackinac City on the way to the Outpost, be sure to stop for a meal at Darrow's restaurant. Excellent home cooking and great pies. It's located just a block or two from the bridge.

·
Registered
214 Posts
airwaves, my family has stayed a number of times at the Outpost. We love Jim and Ann. They are great hosts. We always do the evening meal plan as Jim is a wonderful chef. Excellent food!!

The fishing - Jobam. We have always loved fishing Jobam because of the crystal clear water and the smallmouth. They are my favorite and we love to fish topwater for them. My best last year was 20-1/2" and was caught on a homemade topwater bait that I had made. Can't beat that!! We always go the week that bass season opens which I think is the 3rd Saturday in June. I would check with Jim on fishing for smallmouth in August. Walleye and Nothern are few and far between.

The walleye we do catch are deep. When you leave the lodge (Jobam is a small lake) take the narrows to the right and travel to the far left arm. You will see some high rock cliffs, the water drops straight down to 30+ feet. We would drift along these cliffs in the evening with large minnows and also leeches with just a hook. You will pick up smallies, 1000 stunted rockbass (pain in the butt) and the occasional walleye. The ones we do catch were usually in the 25" range.

I have probably been to stubborn in sticking with Jobam instead of learning Tunnel Lake. I know little about it. My advice would be to hire Jim for an evening to learn a little about the lake. Last year 3 older gentlemen had Jim take them to Tunnel on at least 3 evenings and I know Jim had them on the walleyes.

My next trip I am going to bite the bullet and start fishing tunnel. Jobam is a beautiful lake that is being ruined by the rock bass. They are everywhere, you can't keep them off your baits. My son and I last year tried throwing huge floating rapalas and it didn't even slow them down.

We always take our boat as camp boats are rough. Sorry for the long post but trying to give you as much help as I can. If you think of any other questions ask away. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
airwaves, I have been to the Outpost Lodge the last two years, met WillyB2 up there last year. What to bring depends on what you want to fish for. I fish mostly for walleye and use jigs and crawler harnesses. For bass Willy is the guy to ask, but we have had luck on Mepps and top water baits. As far a fish species there are Walleye, pike, smallies, rock bass, perch, and trout all pretty close to the lodge. The camp is on Jobam lake and it has smallmouth, pike, lakers and rock bass. I was there with my 12 year old son and there were several other kids around his age at the camp this year. They had a blast catching rock bass right off the beach and around the lake. If you want to fish for walleye Tunnel lake is about 3 miles down the road and has a nice launch ramp. Ask Jim and Ann, the owners, about where and how to fish Tunnel. There is a bay right around the corner from the launch that we have had some pretty good luch in for walleye, but you have to be careful getting to it as there is some shallow water between the launch and the bay. It's maybe a half mile boat trip from the launch and easy to get to. Jim will tell you the route you need to take. Go slow the first trip and you will be fine. Call and talk to Jim before you head up, he will tell you what to bring. Also, about 8 miles south on the road up to the Outpost is Tunnel lake trading post. They have live bait, licenses, tackle and most of the gear you will need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.