Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With most of our inland reservoirs running high outflows in order to drain off the excess water I am wondering what the affect on the fishing will be.

Do the fish, particularly walleye, head towards the outflow or do they stay back in the less active (and perhaps muddier) water? Essentially I am trying to decide which end of the lake I would focus tomorrow morning, outflow end or inflow end.

The lake has yet to be determined. Milton, Berlin or WB are my choices, but I will figure that out in the morning. I have an absolutely unscientific decision making process when it comes to which lake I hit... I never know until I get to Deerfield Circle...Fishing roulette! Round and round I go, where I fish I soon shall know! Ok, maybe not, but I am getting off topic.

I have read that during the "inflow event" (flooding stage) that you want to be where the water is entering the lake because of the increase of bait being washed into the water and the various species will feed on it.

But I cannot find any info on the "outflow" event, where the water is now leaving the lake at a faster than normal flow.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Interesting decision making process! Based on your theories, in my opinion, Milton is your best bet. You have all that water coming into the river from Berlin -then exiting at the dam end! Just north of the bridges should be the honey hole!!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I've heard on those bassmasters tourneys that when the gates are open and the water is flowing, the fishing in the lake is better.

I was at WB on friday night and they were still holding back water. 3 of us fishing with worms/nightcrawlers and sinkers and trying all kinds of different places and we only caught 1 fish in 4 hours of fishing! We tried by the Rock Springs Rd bridge and would have drifted BACKWARDS through it if not for a slight wind pushing us into the piers. It seemed like the current was flowing upstream! Didn't catch anything on either side fishing from 7-11pm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts