close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Outfished agin!!!

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by flathunter, Apr 25, 2004.

1. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

My wife and I hit the scioto for a couple hrs this evening...We managed to put 6 channel cats on the bank...My wife caught 4 of them..She always outfishes me when it comes to channel cats..We caught them on frozen shad, and were using circle hooks...I had one hard hit which really put a bend in my heavy action big cat rod..But the fish soon got off, when I reeled in I found that the point of the circle had turned in and hooked the bait :mad: ..This has happend to me several times this year, so when fishing for flatheads only I dont think I will use them..I got some 4x strong 8/0 gamma, regular hooks for flats.

Attached Files:

• rc23.jpg
      rc23.jpg
      File size:
      31.6 KB
      Views:
  2. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Told ya before Jackster....if your fishing at long range where ya cant stick a hook-set the "circle" hooks will do OK...but for most everyday cattin...stay away from them stupid hooks!!

ONLY Gamakatsu Octopus live bait hooks for me thanks!!

3. catking

catking Banned

Sounds like you two are off to a decent year. First the carp, now the cats. I also don;t use the circle hooks for flatheads, just channels and blues. Let me ask you this Jack- the 52 pounder you caught-circle hook? CATKING

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I just started using circles this year, so the 52-lber was caught on a 6/0 eagle claw standard hook...