close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

outboard vs I/O motor

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by fireline, Aug 22, 2007.

1. I am thinking of buying a fishing boat 20 to 22 ft,to use on erie. is there much difference in fuel consumption between a outboard and a I/O of the same horse power?.

2. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

I haven't run the numbers, but a DFI or 4S O/B should be pretty close in gas. Where an O/B shines is in weight, about half of an I/O. Also, it is easier to access an outboard for maintenance. A 20-22 ft boat with an I/O is almost always very cramped in the engine compartment. Do you know any double jointed contortionists when it comes time to replace the plugs? Hole shot will be better with the O/B. I/Os in your size range can be azz heavy. And what about the dog house in an I/O boat. Lastly, are you going to run trips when there is a chance of freezing over night? On a typical Merc I/O, you will have to pull two plugs and four hoses to drain your I/O. To drain water from an O/B just tilt the engine down. I think fuel usage is one of the minor issues between the engines.

Workdog

3. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

the reason i went with the outboard is because they are easier to maintain.

4. I second the outboard. Easy to winterize and repair.
    150 hp either way is still 150 hp. I cant believe there
    would be that much difference.

5. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Same amount of hp, but the inboard would probably weigh 200-400 lbs. more than the outboard due to the difference in the motor and outdrive.
    *Similar to adding 1-2 people to your boat which burns more fuel etc.

6. looks like I will be looking at the outboards