Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Draggin Meat
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Outboards are new for this year. Few questions. Few problems. Thanks in advance.

Is hydraulic outboard steering always easier one way than the other?

Last time out I had no steerage to the right while on plane.

The steerage is fine at idle or slow speeds.

The auto pilot works fine while trolling.

The steering works fine and easy to the left (keep in mind my motor is counterclockwise) not sure if that really matters.

Thanks,
Dave

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,082 Posts
is it new steering? i just installed hydraulic steering on my boat (baystar system) mine steers easy in both directions, on plane, motor tilted all the way up, just the same all over. id say check you lines and see if they might be kinked. if kinked you must replace that line. also on baystar/seastar models there are check valves that become clogged and cause problems. these are large SLOTTED plugs on either side on the rear helm. clean ball seats and balls and re-assemble. this comes right out of the troubleshooting section of the manual that came with my system. hard steering also could be air in the line, you'll need to bleed the system if thats the problem. did you check the fluid level?

·
Draggin Meat
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you check the fluid level?
Well it took a while to find the find the fill resevoir for the steering. We traced the lines and was convinced there wasn't one. I had to ask the service dept. at Romps where the resevoir was. Needless to say I felt a bit fooloish when he told me the fill resevoir is in the steering wheel. I always wondered why that plug was there, lol.

Turns out my steering fluid was so low that it also affected my manueverablity. I can actually dock now without looking like a stooge. Thanks EZ for taking the time to help.

By the way check you PM later this evening.

DAVE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.