Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2006 boat with 90hp mercury 2stroke. The steering is smooth at low speeds. However when going faster (20-30mph) it gets very stiff to steer left (steering to the right is fine). What could be the issue?

·
Resident fishing idiot
959 Posts
Massive torque! Lol well can you trim your motor? If so trimmed all the way down at wot will let u turn easier, the higher you trim the harder it is to turn.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody. I'll try to make an adjustment to the trim tab and test it out tomorrow to see if that makes any difference of not. I will keep you guys updated.

If I do decide to upgrade to hydraulic steering sometime in the future, what can I expect in terms of the cost?

·
Pushin' Tin
4,511 Posts
Massive torque! Lol well can you trim your motor? If so trimmed all the way down at wot will let u turn easier, the higher you trim the harder it is to turn.
Mines the other way around. If I'm trimmed too low, you can't turn it. Trim up/out and I can turn it with my pinky. A 90hp should not require hydraulic steering in order to turn the wheel. My guess is you my have a corroded or kinked cable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Resident fishing idiot
959 Posts
That or dirty insides...spray shotgun cleaner on cables, turn in and out... In and out...and repeat. Mine froze up from dirt. Then spray remington dry lube teflon on them

·
Resident fishing idiot
959 Posts
Holy cow the "kit" comes without lines, or the steering pump, this is really a $1000 conversion... Ill stick with my cables, they aint broke!

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I just bought a no feed back steering kit for my 16 ft tri hull with a old 115 hp inline 6 mercury on it. it steers alittle harder than the old system but I get no feed back at all. makes it a pleasure to drive the boat now. I got a new helm station and new cable and wheel for something like 249.00 or 269.00 I just don't remember for sure. I bought mine off ebay. but I would try adjusting the little trim tab on the motor before I invested in a steering change.

my boat is an old boat and I had to drill a new hole for the helm station to fit. but even doing this it only took me about 1 hour to change out the steering. not counting the time I spent going to lowes and buying a new hole saw to cut the new hole. so it wasn't a big job on my boat. but I don't know just how much trouble it would be on your boat. but I am very happy with my no feed back system.
sherman

·
Boatless
914 Posts
I bought my Teleflex Baystar hydraulic steering kit from Lowcostboatingstore.com. The kit includes everything you need, helm pump, cylinder, 2 20ft sections tubeing, steering fluid, filler kit and instructions. The tubeing is cut to fit. But you can aso get made to lenght hoses if you prefer that. Price on there site right now is $589.99.

The baystar is rated for up to 150hp. Over 150 you have to upgrade to the Seastar hydraulics.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I put the no feedback steering on and I love it. You can just rest your hand on the wheel even when on plane and WOT. But it has an ungodly amount of torque when trying to turn to the left when I have it trimmed up. As soon as I drop the nose it will turn like it's on rails, and the steering torque is equal in both directions. I've tried adjusting the torque tab and it helped.... but it still has an ungodly amount of resistance to turning left.

With that said, I am definitely going to go to hydraulic steering the minute I can afford it. I don't like having to wrench on the wheel that hard when I'm running down the lake and may need to turn to the left to avoid something floating in the water that I didn't see because of a wave or ripples on the water. I am sure the Ohio River guys know exactly what I'm talking about. Sometimes you can't see it, until you're right on it. I'm under 150 HP so the kit Tightlines mentioned is perfect.

Tightlines, question if I may?........ is hydraulic steering all its cracked up to be?...... and is there a difference in feel from turning one direction or the other?

·
Resident fishing idiot
959 Posts
^^^ohio river guy here^^^ lol and its true! I talked to a tech today, he said for bass boats the $800 sea star unit is the way to go over the bay star. But ehh ill just keep what i got. It wont leak, or blow a seal 30 miles down river. I remember when these first were equipped and a guy in a bass tournament lost steering and went on the bank. Sure its improved, but unless i hit the lottery, i need a new humninbird, and to get my bigger fuel tanks in. My ranger does have a steering torque adjustment, but its not a big help. Just gotta muscle it. But it keeps my hook settin arm strong!

·
Boatless
914 Posts
Bassbme, i also had the no feedback steering on my boat, a 18 ft starcraft with a 115 outboard. Had the same problem with turning left, you had to grip the wheel with both hands to turn left! The hydraulic steering uses very little effort to steer and its the same left or right, i cant tell no difference.

One thing to consider when purchasing the kit is make shure you know if you will have clearance with the tubing. The tubing i got with my kit is the cut to fit hard plastic tube. I wish i would have gotten the hydraulic hose. Example: when you turn your outboard from full left to full right there is maybe a foot or more sideways movement. The hydraulic tube is very stiff and you will have to have room for it to move back and forth. The hose you could have a bend in it if your short on space. Hope i explained it good enough:)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Tightlines....... thanks for the reply and the tip on the hydraulic line clearance. I watched a little Youtube video on the system and I see exactly what you're talking about. I may look at the prices on the made to length hydraulic hose. I know they have to be pricey, but I'm thinking they'd eventually be the way to go, whether you have clearance problems or not. I really like what you reported on steering effort ...... I'm in a 16 1/2' Bumble Bee with a 120 on it, and it is a bear to turn left when I have it up and running. Thanks again for the reply and tip.

Ranger I know what you mean about maybe having a problem with it, but you can have the same problem with cables if one snaps. A cable snapping is exactly what I think about when I have to pull that steering wheel that hard. You do have a great point on a new fish finder though...... I'd love to have a side scan unit. lol Looks like I may have to do a little weighing in my mind. lol Thanks again guys....... much appreciated.

·
Pushin' Tin
4,511 Posts
Tightlines....... thanks for the reply and the tip on the hydraulic line clearance. I watched a little Youtube video on the system and I see exactly what you're talking about. I may look at the prices on the made to length hydraulic hose. I know they have to be pricey, but I'm thinking they'd eventually be the way to go, whether you have clearance problems or not. I really like what you reported on steering effort ...... I'm in a 16 1/2' Bumble Bee with a 120 on it, and it is a bear to turn left when I have it up and running. Thanks again for the reply and tip.

Ranger I know what you mean about maybe having a problem with it, but you can have the same problem with cables if one snaps. A cable snapping is exactly what I think about when I have to pull that steering wheel that hard. You do have a great point on a new fish finder though...... I'd love to have a side scan unit. lol Looks like I may have to do a little weighing in my mind. lol Thanks again guys....... much appreciated.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of speed do you get out of that "Bee"? I haven't seen one around in a long time...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 20 of 25 Posts