close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Outboard skag ?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by sowbelly101, Apr 9, 2004.

1. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

Well today I pulled a dumb move and trimmed my motor down and forgot to put it back up before pulling out of the drive. I didnt hear it scraping the ground until I started to back it in and saw the motor jerk to the right. To make a long story short, it bent the bottom over pretty good. Is it possible to straighten it out without breaking it off and if so any suggestions on how to do it

Thanks in advance
    Sowbelly.

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

They can be fixed, I would take it to someplace that works on motors, re-dealer, etc. and have them look at it. If it can't be fixed they make a cover type repair kit that slips over the bottom. These are used to replace the skag when it is broken off. Hope this helps

3. Hey sowbelly, It all depends on how bad the skag was damaged. Aluminum is hard to bend back without snaping it off. If you know someone that can weld aluminum they sell replacement skags. But I would take it to a outboard repair shop because of the heat that is produced in the welding. You could damage the seals. This is a common repair and when they get done you cant tell it ever happened.......JIM