Outboard Repair Manuals

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Blue Pike, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Seloc or Clymer?
    Which would be the easiest to use for the average user?

I have seen the Mercury shop manual, don’t think it is geared towards the everyday, average outboard user. At $80 I think Mercury can keep it.

Thanks for your input on this.

2. i have the seloc for my merc i/o...very easy to follow...and i think $25 is what i paid...details on everything in my powertrain!!

3. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i have to agree on seloc. im sure a factory manual would have little details that are not in the seloc, but for us backyarders, i think seloc's are fine.are fine.

4. eyesman_01

eyesman_01 getting wEYESer every day

Another vote for Seloc. I've bought Clymer and Haynes (for autos) also, but found Seloc is more thorough and better detail for the backyard do-it-yourselfer. I've got one for my I/O, and my kicker. They even had one for the old '64 Johnson 90hp I had a couple years ago.

5. Seloc it is. After looking at some web sites. I was kind of leaning towards Seloc. But thought I’d ask for your opinion. Thanks folks.

6. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

I've used Clymer's, but even trouble shooting my last motor, it seemed very complicated at times. I think I'll look for a Seloc for my Mercruiser.

7. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Mercuriser's for Dummy's-Seloc it is...! :D

8. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I have both SELOC and the factory manual.
    SELOC misses a lot of info.
    If you just want to maintain your motor, SELOC is OK.
    If you are looking to actually service the motor, the factory manual is worth it's weight. Yes, they are expensive... but so is shop labor. You only buy the book once.

9. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

Seloc's and clymers cover way too many models per book. A service manual doesn't have to be expensive. They sell all the time on e-bay for $20-$30. I got my last couple for around $15 apiece. You just have to get lucky that someone is offering the manual you need.

Workdog

10. Would the Seloc get someone relatively mechanically inclined through an impeller replacement on a Merc. Alpha 1 outdrive?

11. I used the Clymer book to replace the impeller and housing on my Alpha drive in late 2006. Must be a good book.