close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

outboard motors question

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by baitguy, Oct 21, 2017.

1. baitguy

baitguy catchin my own bait since 1958

Hi guys ... I have a 16'6" Sea Nymph, 5' wide, in the middle of complete overhaul and refurbishing of the boat ... motor that came with it is Johnson 55, 2 stroke, circa 1977 or so ... I've never had it running and would anticipate $3-400 in various repairs and maintenance to get it ready to put on the boat ... am looking at a 1993 Honda 4 stroke 40 HP ... my questions;
    • will the newer Honda w/15 less HP push that boat fast enough ... not looking for breakneck speeds, but want to be able to cover some space on Erie as well as WB and such
    • Johnson is like 200#, not sure of the Honda but seems like it would be at least another 50-60#, will the transom (new, part of the rehab) handle that OK
    • Is the Honda going to get noticeable better fuel economy
    • Am I correct in assuming that in the long run a 93 Honda is going to be more reliable than a 77 Johnson ... any input about either is appreciated
    • Any idea the value of either of them
    Thanks
    Jeff

2. What is the H.P rating of that boat? I bought a new 15' bowrider in 1978 with a 35HP Evinrude. Could barely create a wake. Junked that and got a 80 HP Mercury which made all the difference in the world. JMO but I think you will be disappointed with the Honda with only 40 HP and the additional weight.

fastwater likes this.

3. 40 four stroke willl be marginal.

crappiedude and fastwater like this.
  4. As has been said, dont think you'll be happy decreasing in HP AND going to a much heavier mtr. Marginal at best. Especially if you get on Erie in some chop.

I'd say the Honda would get noticeably better fuel economy.

If you get a good one, Hondas are just that. Great Mtrs that run forever. Just make sure that if you don't work on it yourself that you have a reputable dealer close by.

5. I have a 1990 Sea Nymph BT 175 Back Troller with a 2015 Mercury 40 hp 4 stroke it will do 30 gps speed .

6. I think the honda would be good ,its twenty yrs newer and should push you along just fine. it,ll idle down [don,t think the other one will . no fuel mix. just a darn right better motor.

7. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

id go with the 93 four stroke over a 77 two stroke any day of the week.

TClark, crappiedude and backfar like this.
  8. I had a friend buy a 16' Whaler last year with a 70hp JOhnson circa 1984. We knew the previous owners and the motor if well maintained is bullet proof. Just keep it running Hot over 3500 rpm as much as possible. Yes gave it a new impeller, lower unit oil, spark plugs and she has been ready to go all year. There is no way I would go heavier with less horsepower. On that size boat, it will be even more a squeeze on performance. Both motors can be good, depending on how they were taken care of. If you need an honest good mechanic for the Johnson, go see Outboard Motor Service in Port Clinton. Mark the owner probably does know everything about that motor, don't be surprised if he lets you know. Lee is also great mechanic and great at customer service. It won't cost you much unless something serious is wrong with it. Which they can diagnose for almost nothing. They are 2 no Bull$hit guys. I've been going to them for 10 years with my Johnson 200HP.
    Rickerd

baitguy likes this.