close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Out of state?

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by Stampede, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

So who's thinking of heading out of state and where you heading?

2. Seriously thinkin about goin to northern Michigan to fish! I have been watching the forcast and fishing reports and houghton, higgins, Wixom or Hubbard look promising. I know Tip up town starts in a few weeks so I wouldn't mind heading up before the party starts and the fish scatter.

3. Havoc

Havoc

4. Havoc

Havoc

Lake of the woods 24 to to 28 jan.i

5. fishingfool101

fishingfool101 All species

Green Bay Wisconsin has more than 11 inches

6. Deep Creek lake possibly. Gone the past couple years. Lots of jumbo perch, walleye, pike and pickerel.

MDBuckeye likes this.
  7. ballast

ballast uncaptain

I've been talking with my buddy abou this too...where's the closest place to go?

8. Ballast if I remember correctly Houghton Lake Mi. is 5.5 hours from Akron. Has perch, walleyes, LMB, pike and gills. Tip Up Town is held there 20-21 and 27-28 of this month. It is really a big lake so transportation is helpful.

9. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

Roscommon County Lunkers! John Dunn from Prudenville thought he was a lock to win this week's Lyman's Big Pike Contest with his 37 1/2', 14lb northern out of Higgins Lake (ice is only about 2" thick). John was in 12' fow using spot-tailed shiners under a tip-up...then along came Zack Zuback from McBain with a 40", 14lb 7oz monster out of Houghton Lake. Zack was using a sucker minnow on a tip-up. Nice haul, guys!

Screenshot_2017-01-11-21-45-19.png

MDBuckeye, whal and bobberbucket like this.
  10. Thought I would share a story about Houghton lake. Went on a snowmobile trip up there when I was younger. I was just getting started ice fishing and I think the old man at the bait shop could tell. Anyways he told me to find the longest stick I could on shore and walk 200 paces from shore then drill a hole. Use the stick to hit the bottom. Work your way back towards shore until you find gravel then set up. I did just as he said...Tied on the Williams wobbler he gave me and put 3 minnow heads on it caught 6 really nice eyes in about 45 min right at dark on that transition. Fed the whole crew that night and never did see what the trails looked like.

11. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

My dad and I will be at Fletchers pond, Higgins or Houghton at the end of the month right before tip up town

12. Decoy hound

Decoy hound Supporting Member

Going to Lake Winnebago January 21-26

13. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

I got my porch pass confirmed and i'm heading most likely to Wisconsin the 20th to 23rd. Now just need to figure out where.

Salmonid likes this.
  14. Pete call me after 5. I got a good spot or two for you to check out

15. ballast

ballast uncaptain

Any word on where we can get out this weekend. Ive got sat&sun off work. So let me know

16. I'd be extra careful. I'm sure some will be out but if you ask me, after the rain, warm temps and WIND we've had, you couldn't pay me to get on that ice this weekend. Best to hold tight and wait for the next vortex to hit. We still have all of February and historically, that's when we normally get in most of the ice time

17. DBV

DBV

Probably heading up to Lake St Clair for a day this weekend on the Canadian side. Did not warm up much or not much rain up there. Still good ice for walkers. Mostly where I ice fish anymore anyhow, as enjoy catching perch.

18. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

With the amount of rain we got out here in suffield with 50 degree temps .....the ice is crap. I had a river in the field this morning with 2 feet of standing water

19. ballast

ballast uncaptain

20. Lake Mitchell has 9-11 inches according to Ice Shanty reports. St. Clair had decent ice near shore but haven't seen any reports since the rain.