close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Out of state catfish trip recommendations.

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Fishman, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

A friend and I are planning on taking a trip out of state to do some catfishing in July, but havn't really ironed out the details. We want to go somewhere within 8 hours of Cincinnati that offers some good flathead and bluecat fishing where 20lb fish are possible or even larger fish. I've done the James River thing, it's a blast but with the size of boat we're taking I'm not sure I'de be comfortable on the James with it.... although having said that I've seen people out there in small john boats. The boat we'll be fishing out of is "Bass trackerish" but set up for catfishing. My buddy whos going, isn't much of a catfisherman, but enjoys catching anything. I would just like to put him on some decent fish.

So, if you could take a weeklong catfishing trip 8 hours or less from Cincinnati - where would you go and why?

2. fishslime

fishslime Catch it, then eat it :)

Grab your livers and sling some meat in a paylake;)

I don't know you still fish, i thought you quit after catching that east fork monster

3. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Haha, nah I still fish just been smallie fishing primarliy. Nothing worth bragging about really. Been busy with work and life, ya know how it goes :)

Paylaking is outta the question :p

4. the lower end of the wabash river in indiana, not very famous and doesnt look like much but my boss says its the only river we consistantly shock up flatties over 50, and most of our work is done on the ohio, not only does it have an incredible population on flats but it also has one of the best populations of shovelnose sturgeon anywhere. i always thought that would be a fun side target. and if you wanted blues just drop down to the ohio there

5. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Funny ya bring up the Wabash. I had heard about the sturgeon fishing over there a year or so ago and was somewhat intrigued by it. We had an intern at the company I work for from Layfayette, IN and I asked him about it. He told me he had never heard anyone mention a word about it. Long story short, I gave him the best possible info I could on how to catch'em and just a week ago I got a call from him. He's caught 11 in just 2 days of fishing, with the biggest fish be around 5 or 6 lbs. Pretty easy to catch, nightcrawlers on the bottom fished around current.

Granted the lower Wabash is an entirley different river in SW Indiana, but yes I'm sure it is loaded with fish expecially given how rural that portion of the state is. I'll look into it Riverking, the Wabash hadn't even crossed my mind :)

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

MAN! Didn't realize who ya we're at first. Was sorting through some old PM's and figured out who ya are.... get a hold of me fishgirl we got some catching up to do.

7. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

Do a google search for Indiana catfish. There are some very good sounding places over there for channel and flathead cats.

8. fishslime

fishslime Catch it, then eat it :)

9. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Tom,

I would consider Barkley in Ky, if you fish the dam tailwaters you can get bait there (skippy's) and we all know how much fun they are to catch, plus Kentucky lake is only three miles from barkley, the Tenn. river is good also then you can go downriver and fish the Cumberland river, awesome fishing for the Blues, if you need spots I have maps and everything for that area, let me know only 4 hours from Cinnci................Doc

10. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Just made a 2 night reservations for a cabin down in Harmonie State Park on the Wabash near where it joins up with the Ohio River. If the fishing in good in the Wabash we'll get accomodations there and stay for the remainder for the week. If the fishing is poor (hopefully not) head back to the Cinci area and hit the Ohio/East Fork.

Ever fish near Evansville, Indiana Doc? If the Wabash is a bust we might make the short trip over that way to get on the Big O.

Obviously the other consideration for this is bait. I'll be taking my castnet and spinning rods with me, but in the event we can't get bait I'm going to stock up on some frozen shad and skips. Ever catch flatheads on fresh frozen baits? I've never even used'em before..

11. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Tom,
    Yea that area is our favorite to fish, Mount Vernon is closer to you, the JT Myers lock and dam you can see from where the Wabash empties into the Ohio, check out Duracats Mount Vernon tournament, those fish we caught in that pool you will love it, deep water tons of structure I can put you on some real good spots, have the maps and everything if your interested send me a pm...............Doc

12. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

PM in route :)

My bad, ment to say Mount Vernon.

13. please report how you do on the wabash, my crew leader says it looks really crappy until you turned on the shocker, 60+lb flatties out of 3-4ft of water:D . if there not on i would say hit the big O down that way theres a very large population of blues in the lower end of the river (atleast im told we shock a lot more down there)
    goodluck