Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ohio State Alumni 05'
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Annual fishing charter trip that I was asking about earlier last week...

Saturday:

I'm pretty sure I could've had my 9 foot kayak 12 miles out of Port Clinton and been just fine. Strongly considered switching from drifting to trolling, but the crew wanted to cast. It was slow, and we were stuck in the farm yard quite a bit. 8 guys, came away with 11 Walleye and I believe only 3-4 actually caught the walleye. Some white bass and a couple perch mixed in, but we did earn some Fish Ohio pins for our sheepish efforts. We had one go 27" and it was THICK. Walleye came on copper or gold with pink, purple, or red beads. Colorado blades, hammered or smooth...size did not matter. Must've been all males :D We did start out near the Canadian border, but we made a significant jog eastward to where I could see 2 smokestacks (not sure if that's Detroit or what, but that's where we picked up the eyes)

Sunday:

Windy as hell, solid 4's and supposedly the rogue 5'/6'er. Made the 16 miles run out to the double stacks again and picked up 5 or 6 per drift. Same colors as before, smaller blades to get a little less drag and get down to them (3/4-1oz were being used). Fish were tight to the bottom and hitting on the outside of the swing. Clouds lifted and the bite died for 1 1/2 hours, and then all hell broke loose from 12:30-2pm with doubles, triples, and even one quad. I've never heard a captain yell, "We don't have enough nets" before, but got a good laugh out of his enthusiasm. Finished the day with 42 fish for 8 guys...big eye went 25"

All in all a good trip, finishing with 125lbs for 53 fish of fish before they were cleaned obviously.

LOTS OF THROWBACKS in the 14 1/2" range, only one 9", but good to see some of the smaller guys for next year being in the mix.

Thanks for all the replies earlier in the week guys!

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
The two stacks you refer to is indeed in Michigan...it's the Monroe power plant. It's west though rather than east...! ;)
It sounds like your crew had a really good day Sunday...good work and good report.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Glad you had a good trip. I was at the Zoo with my daughter. The wind was blowing and I knew the waves were up and it was probally a good day out there. I was there in my mind

·
Ohio State Alumni 05'
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It might be hereditary, my dad was telling me about the east-southwest wind this weekend...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I keep telling my buddy if you want to catch eyes drifting you have to fish days like sunday. Outstanding! I should be out today I guess.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had a 2 day charter out of Port Clinton with Capt.Jerry Taylor of Playin' Hooky Charters. Saturday we were out about the same distance right on the border, it was pretty slow, we were crankin' slow picked up a couple 'eyes, some white bass, white perch, and all kind of goats. Sunday, however, was a much better day for the drift. Had our share of throwbacks as well, best 'eye of the day was 26.5", biggest goat was about 23.5", had plenty of white bass, white perch and even a few yellow perch in the mix. All in all, I'd have to say that Sunday was the day to be out.;) Thanks Jerry. BD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts