close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ouch, I injured my Johnson

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by blance, Apr 18, 2005.

1. We were cruising across the lake about 30 MPH cooling down and hit something I think was a log floating just below the surface. Later on I noticed I cracked a piece off the lower unit housing. Here's a pic of a new lower unit gear box with a red box around the area in question

[​IMG]

And here's a pic of mine (sorry it's kinda out of focus)

[​IMG]

Initially I wasn't too concerned, but then I started noticing my transom seems to be riding lower in the water now. Then after I got home I noticed the oil seep around the gasket above the area I cracked. I havn't noticed any oil leaks or cracks elsewhere. Unfortunately, I never noticed if that oil seep was there prior to smacking whatever it was I hit. Other than the missing piece of casting the motor seems fine on power and shifts without any problems. I priced an aftermarket gear box and they want $1500 + labor to install. I'm hoping it's not that serious that I shouldn't be worried, but figured I should toss this out there for one of the other OMC guys opinions.

Thanks

Barry

2. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

Man, I hate it when I injure my Johnson:eek:

3. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Fastlane, I thought the same thing :D

4. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Fix your Johnson with some Duct tape Barry!! :p Raider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  5. It shouldn't be that hard to replace the part yourself, basically a bolt on part with a little bit of mechanical work, buy the part used...look on ebay! good luck
    Jason

6. I am a rookie as far as motor repair but it does not appear as if the lip that broke off would affect the mechanical aspects of the motor. However the planing performance may suffer as you have indicated. I wonder if the leak started because the impact knocked the seal loose? It may have cracked the housing where it is not visible on the outside. I would say that you need to at least drop the lower unit and inspect it for damage that may not yet be evident. If something breaks off on the inside while running then you will have some major problems with your Johnson.

7. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Barry,

Man, how did you break the front piece off with out hitting anything else??

Looking at your out of focus pictures I would round that Baby off there on the edges so that it will cut thru the water and be done with it, looks like you only lost 2 inches I wouldn't think that would effect your boat handling or planing ability.

8. fffffish

fffffish Muskie 1 Trolling Thunder

I agree with doc
    Grind that thing round and snug up the nuts check the oil for water the next few times out and forget about it

9. ReRobb

ReRobb master baiter

hey DOC, if I lost 2 inches of my Johnson, I would be screwed, lol

10. I had a gearbox lube leak at back of unit by propeller on my '81 Johnson 70 HP. I bought Clymer's manual & it told me (a non-mechanic) exactly how to disassemble & reassemble what I needed to make the repair. It also shows enough detail for me to know what is beyond my skills. I see why it costs hundreds to tear lower unit apart & rebuild it. The tools needed alone costs big bucks!