close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

OSU Quarterback Suspended

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by crappiebub, Dec 20, 2004.

1. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

Is it just because there is more news reporters or are the players getting Dummer, or is it the money?

http://www.onnnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=2715734&nav=LQlCUORH

Columbus
    OSU Quarterback Suspended
    According to Ohio State University, the Buckeyes' Quarterback Troy Smith has reportedly been suspended for violating team and NCAA standards, just nine days before the big Alamo Bowl game.

"All of our players, including Troy, know they have a number of responsibilities to fulfill in order to have the privilege of playing at Ohio State," says Head Coach Jim Tressel. "Troy has not fulfilled those responsibilities and therefore will not be able to play in the Alamo Bowl."

Ohio State will take on Oklahoma State on December 29 at the Alamodome.

Athletic Director Andy Geiger says the university has petitioned the NCAA for Smith's reinstatement for the 2005 season.

Smith will not travel with the team to the bowl game in San Antonio.

"I am aware of what is expected, both on and off the field, at Ohio State and I have fallen short of those expectations," says Smith. "I accept this penalty, wish my teammates the very best in the bowl game, and look forward to the beginning of Winter Quarter."

In a press conference Monday, Coach Tressel said they became aware of a situation to be investigated on Thursday, but would not elaborate on what occurred to cause what he described as a self-imposed suspension.

Tressel did say that what happened came as a huge surprise to him. He says the players were called and notified Monday.

Smith played in eight of the Buckeyes' 11 games this year and completed 68 of 122 passes for 896 yards and eight touchdowns. He amassed 386 yards in total offense in a 37-21 win over Michigan in the season finale, turning in the third highest single-game performance in Ohio State history.

Stay tuned to WBNS-10TV and 10TV.com for more information.

2. UNREAL....
    I don't even know what to say :(

3. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

errmm..does this means zwick will be the starting QB??... ohh maan..

4. Man, I hope this is the worst of the Buckeye's problems :(

Steve

5. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

It is just one thing after another. I just don't know what to say either. This is killing me seeing this program getting all this bad press. I consider myself to be among the biggest Buckeye fans and this really hurts to see all these things happen to the team.

6. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

What he said...

7. I agree that this is getting extremely old with the problems that seem to loom constantly over Buckeye atheletics nowadays. It really makes it tough to argue in support for your team when they keep giving the opposition so much ammo.:rolleyes:

I keep hearing doom and gloom stories from folks for the Buckeyes chances in the bowl game. I really think people have sold Zwick short in this case. Although I believe that Troy Smith did win the starting position with his performance on the field, I also don't think that he would have put up the numbers that he did if he were in there early in the season either. The whole offense got better as the season went on and not just the QB position with the change made. I think Justin can lead them to the win next week.

So has anyone heard any details on the violation that Troy made?

8. Don’t get me wrong but...cooper was fired for not controlling his players...
    and im happy as h%$$ that we have Tressel. but with the basketball and football programs under fire the headman needs to go...and im talking Geiger..
    Ive never liked him from day one....if osu doesn’t see that he has no control over anything then I hate to say it we deserve everything we get...
    im a huge fan heck I have a big brutus tattoo on my leg...my 1yr old beagle is named brutus and if my wife would have let me my 10mth old son would have been named woody...(his name is nick..lol)
    Maybe we should head up a fire Geiger campaign... lol
    just my 2cents..
    fish4wall

9. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

I agree with capt and andro, heck my whole basement is buckeyes. This is what a national championship will do to you though it puts your programs under a fine microscope and things start coming out of the wood work. Man they need to get things in order and keep them there.

10. I know the defense for all of us fans all along has been that we are under a microscope now but I don't know how much longer that one will hold water. I too am a diehard Buckeyes fan but the constant allegations are very disheartening. I think something needs changed within the athletic department to try to address these issues and the most obvious thing to me is to remove Geiger. Whether anyone believes that he knew of any of these infractions throughout the course of the seasons or not the fact of the matter is that these things are happening under his watch. And I just have not seen any indication that steps are being taken to see that they don't happen anymore.

It is easy for us to say these things go on everywhere when it is our scarlet and gray. But if we look at it from the outside what will we think. After all listen to all of the bad things that have been said about the Miami Hurricanes program. And I don't think they had near the turmoil that the Buckeyes have had the last two years. I just wonder how OSU will ever pull any big time recruits in the near future when so many things are coming out that make recruits suspicious of whether they will even get to compete for a national championship.:( I am not trying to paint doom and gloom here but merely laying it out there and saying that things are bordering on disaster down there and someone does need to right the ship.

11. F4F, my basement is also all Buckeye, including my wife's $35,000 MBA degree. I love the Bucks, but think there is more at work here.

First, unless Smith says what he did, we might never know what the offense was. The schools are forbidden from discussing a lot of information about students, moreso with student -athletes. I agree Tressel can't be everywhere all the time, but it seems he isn't anywhere. I believe there are more violations not discovered or reported. I'm as sick of Tressel and his P/C explanations about it. It looks good on the evening news, but it drags us further down in the mud.

Geiger will be allowed to retire very soon. It has been in the works for quite awhile. They are not going to fire him early. I would say sometime after the bowl game, he will retire.

And I also agree that Zwick wasn't the only problem during the early Big 10 season. No one played outstanding. The running game sucked, receivers dropped passes, the defense wasn't agressive. Zwick has a good arm, and he runs okay. They changed the whole O for Smith. Ginn got in the lineup. The O got better. Zwick will be fine. I think he was hurt long before they benched him, because he wa afraid if he sat he would lose his job. Which is exactly what happened. He is still the future QB of this team.

Eric

12. Great post Warpath!

I agree with much of what you posted.

<tt></tt></pre>
    I have been assuming the same thing. I know he is within a year or so of when his earlier mentioned "desireable" retirement plan. This may be a good time for him to get out of the heat.

I agree Zwick will be fine. I also still thought he was the QB of the future...until Smith went off on Michigan the way he did. People don't forget those kind of performances very soon and particularly when they come against the maize and blue.

13. bkr - It IS going on everywhere, rest assurred. If NCAA probes deep into any program; violations will be found both small and large.

Ultimately the coaching staff and the AD are responsible for the program. They try very hard to recruit kids that they feel will be mature enough to make the right decisions. I think they do a pretty good job of screening kids too. They spend countless hours explaining in detail NCAA, Big Ten, and OSU rules on an individual basis.

But..... they can't be with the kids 24/7; they can't look into the future and see potential problems. They have to rely on the kids to do what they know is right.

This is a real balancing act these days (Look at Notre Dame). Pressure to win is at an all time high; lots of $$$ involved, but at the same time some schools are raising standards for college athletes.

Everybody wants a clean program, but they want to win too. It is getting harder and harder these days to have both.

IMO - Geiger and Tressel are doing all they can - it's not an easy job :) I'm not sure any other AD, Coach combo in the country would be doing any better!

Last but not least.... I heard from an unreliable source that Troy has been driving a nice automobile around town while not making any rental/lease payments.

14. I know that is what we want to believe and to an extent I am sure that it does happen everywhere. But why are we the ones always getting caught then? Why not Oklahoma, LSU, USC, and even Miami? They had their share a while back but they pale in comparison nowadays as far as NCAA infractions. I know Geiger lashed out at the ESPN guys and refused to let them used OSU as a platform last fall and I don't blame him after the comments that were made. But with all the problems that surround the university nowadays I have to say that I can certainly see where the ESPN guys are coming from with their accusations.

I just feel that the university is going to have to make a major commitment or change to convince the NCAA, general public, etc. that this problem is going away.

15. I rub elbows with a few Div-I college players; including 2 current Buckeye starters - it is alive and well from big time programs like OSU to the smallest podunk program.

I'm certainly not claiming that OSU is a clean program - it's not. I'm just telling you from first hand knowledge that the opportunity to break the rules is there for most kids.

So, why is OSU in the news so much lately? Simple, several kids have chose to make a bad decision. The program's been on eggshells since Clarett, and wants to head off infractions before the NCAA gets to them. Anything that surfaces is now a big deal; whereas before it would have been less of a problem.

These things run in cycles - think back through the years; it's always 1 to a few major programs in the news for violations. Until a program regains a reputation of being clean, the media, NCAA, and the school itsellf keeps a closer watch.

I agree something must change, but not just at OSU, in all of college athletics. I'd like to see some major penalties for Alumni that are involved with such activities.

The only thing I know for sure is that this is happening all over the country and I don't have a realistic solution.