close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

O'Shaugnessy

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by buckeyebasser, Mar 21, 2005.

1. buckeyebasser

buckeyebasser Go Bucks!

Anybody spent much time bassin at O'Shaugnessy? It's just a few minutes from my place but I'm at OSU and used to my Southeastern Ohio farm ponds. I went to what I believe they call Twin Lakes off of O'Shaugnessy once late last year with no luck but the ODNR Div. of Wildlife report looks promising. I'll probably head up there later this week, weather permitting and try my luck.

2. Don't know if you're boater or a non-boater, O'Shay is a tremendous tourney lake for bass. It also has a fair population of saugeye, but they tend to get washed below the dam. I fish O'Shay about ten times a year, and I can't think of a day when I blanked there. I spent my club tourney back in Twin Lakes, and I was all alone. Didn't see another boat all day. It must not be a hot spot but I caught fish back there. I finished 5th that day.

The lake has a lot of habitat. Laydowns, rocky banks, steep banks, and some docks north of the home road bridge. It has a lot of no wake zones if you are a boater, so check out the rule and regs for the lake if you head up there. You get some pressure from pleasure boats, but zero PWC. Some skiers, but they are usually north of the bridge. Great lake, that produces both large and smallmouth, though I haven't caught a smallie up there yet.

Eric

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

OSR can rock. More largemouths than smallies usually, but if you hit it right you can absolutely hammer the lm's. If it doesn't get constantly flooded this spring (which happens usually), it can make for some sweet bassin.

4. bones

bones blah-blah-blah

up past oshea their is a town called bellpoint.caght alot off lg mouth up their.mostly off cranks.lot of crappie too.

5. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Ya Twin lakes usta be a hot spot. Don't know what happened (maybe to much pressure) but it was literally full of fish in the spring. Many years ago Iv'e had some absolutly fabulous days in there(along with everyone else) There are still some fish there just nothing like days gone by.

6. Orlando - I don't think it ever recovered from when it was drained when they did work on the dam. Before that it was a killer spot.

7. I spent 6 of my 8 hours of my club tourney back in Twin Lakes and caught 6 fish, but only one measured. I also caught 2 crappie, a sunfish, and a snapping turtle. It rained super heavy early, but cleared up near noon. I just couldn't get any big bites. Like I said in the earlier post, I did catch another fish and I think I finished 5th.

Eric

8. JBJ

JBJ

I recall a few years back that there was a bad kill off one winter. My daughter and I went out to the little park there at twin lakes and she quit counting dead fish around the point when she reached 100. There were a lot more than that and we hadn't even gotten to the boat ramp yet where there were a mess of them. This was just after ice out that year. Couldn't be more than 4 years ago...

9. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

judging by the tournaments last year im not impressed at all with oshay for bass.maybe it was an off year but could win most tourneys ive seen with any kind of limit. man that lake is pounded by fisherman too. ill keep trying, ive heard it was good in the past.

10. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

It fished real well last year before the big spring rains. After that is was just so so for me. But I did manage a few good days with nice fish though.

11. justflippin

justflippin PB LM 10 lbs 3 oz.

It can be tough sometimes. But I've won some with a limit (7-10 pounds) and I've come in 6th with a limit (7-10 pounds). I've also won a tourney there with one fish. A lot of good fisherman hit that place pretty hard so the fish see a bunch of lures and techniques. I've stopped worrying about the three boats in front of me and just keep fishing, that has seemed to help me.

12. Kayakfisher

Kayakfisher Regular Guy

I'm sure this isn't suprising to those who frequent O'Shay, but, as one who lives on the river a mile or so above Home Road, and who had to clear drift wood from his dock (or watch it head downstream) twice this winter, be careful out there. There are a WHOLE LOT of barely submerged logs (I mean logs, not branches) out there just waiting for someones lower unit or worse. Be careful out there folks.