close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Oroville California Dam

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by FOSR, Feb 13, 2017.

1. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

Is anyone else following this story? It keeps changing hour by hour (I'm posting this at 16:00 Feb. 13)

Short version: Recent rains filled the reservoir to record levels and more rain is expected later in the week. The main spillway suffered damage, some reports say a 300-foot hole formed in its concrete paving.

The water rose to the level of the emergency spillway for the first time since the dam was built in 1968. Some reports say the spillway was opened but I'm not sure if that's the case, or if the water just rose to its level. The emergency spillway is not paved, despite concerns raised in 2005 about "losing crest control" due to failure by a washout, releasing much more water than the Feather River channel below could handle. A 2006 engineering report anticipated "acceptable" damage in an extreme flood event. The emergency spillway is a separate structure from the dam itself and the dam is said to not be in danger.

Officials ordered a mandatory evacuation downstream; some reports say 180,000 people are affected. There's a near-panic as people scramble to get out. The reservoir level has dropped and there is less fear of failure for now.

...more news later, probably ...

BTW there's an impressive overflow spillway by the Caesar Creek dam.

acklac7 likes this.
  2. I have been trying to follow it, my news app throws me a blurb every now and then. But for the most part all of the major news networks are still running the same politics 24/7. Wish they would cover this or if they are its not when im browsing the stations.

3. Plenty of youtube news videos.

4. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

In 2005 I visited a friend near Pasadena, at the foot of the San Gabriel mountains, and he showed me big basins made to accept overflows coming down from the mountains, basically for the purpose of catching the rush of water and settling out the various rocks and stones that came with the water. Then all that stone was up for grabs, for free, and people would use it as building material for walls and chimneys, etc. - kind of like how they use fieldstone in Wisconsin.

acklac7 likes this.
  5. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Definitely following this. Anyone happen to know what historical marker this flood has achieved? 100 year? 500 year?

6. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

1st (or Second) Story on The Nigtly News tonight.

7. I was watching video of the dam on a live Youtube feed last night. They had a press conference airing along with showing video of the dam. Water was flowing over the emergency spillway which is like 200yds wide and is a near vertical wall, some 30' high. The water was splashing down on a concrete pad and then running off. Saw that they were already repairing the eroded section at the base of the emergency spillway with grouted riprap.

That main spillway has a very steep slope! Looks like the water found a weak point in the concrete channel and got underneath and eroded the soil. 100,000 cubic feet per second is a lot of water! I'm worried about this erosion more than the emergency spillway. They can't do this repair until after the spring snow melt. That will be one hell of a cleanup!

Dams of that size are designed to hold back the Probable Maximum Flood, which is greater than the 500 year flood. When you have a 700' high dam above a city with 200,000 people in the flood path if the dam breaks, you over design it a little.

8. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

Some reports say they're dropping rocks by helicopter to shore it up. Sounds expensive.

9. One of the major issues with this is the erosion that's taking place under the dam. I saw a story last night that stated that California had voted not to redo the concrete apron at the base of the dam in 2008 (I think) as it would have been to costly......
    What's that saying about hindsight?

doegirl and fastwater like this.
  10. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

They were warned by the ACOE of trouble brewing and ignored it.
    Rain stopped, trouble temporarily avoided. People returning home.

fastwater likes this.
  11. AtticaFish

AtticaFish Jiggin Freak

Been reading the news reports as well. This story just popped up with drone videos and a bunch of pictures.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Drone-video-shows-the-Oroville-Dam-crisis-10928910.php

If you look at the emergency spillway on Google maps and then look at these pictures, seems like the water was going out and around the concrete of the emergency spillway. There is a boat ramp and park just on the other side and it looks like it is pretty flooded. That end of the emergency spillway got the worst of the erosion.

12. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Let California pay to repair it. They have plenty of people working in La La Land who can afford it.

The Fishing Addict and fastwater like this.
  13. I'm more concerned about all the saugeyes, muskies, shad and anything else that's now in the tailwater, whos up for a road trip...LOL

Flannel_Carp, chris1162 and acklac7 like this.
  14. one3

one3

Sounds to me like the Johnstown flood in PA. the people were warned about it and did nothing.

fastwater likes this.
  15. yep they,ve known for years that the problem was there. they should NOT GET FED MONEY TO REPAIR IT.

fastwater likes this.
  16. no federal dollars for California for reconstruction/ infrastructure until they comply with immigration orders.....AND YES IT IS RELATED.. money wasted on illegals could've paid for dam repair

scallop, fastwater and Snakecharmer like this.
  17. one3

one3

About time someone is waking up. But, lets see what happens.