Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are lots of opinions on this issue,,, but hunting/fishing license sales are down significantly again according to ODW.

35% last year

early results say at least 25% this year.

I'm saying lack of access to hunting ground has impacted the most.

I have some good propertys to hunt,,, but the land I had permission to hunt has shrunk 50 %- 60% over the last decade.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I think a lot has to do with the economy. By the time you buy the license, deer tags, waterfowl tags, trapping permits it can get expensive depending on the combo purchased. Then if you shoot a deer and don't know how to process it yourself, your dropping probably close to another 100 bucks. There is nothing cheap about hunting and I think in some peoples cases they can either make payments on bills or go hunting. Not to mention all the money we all spend every year on the latest and greatest. LOL

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Multi Species Angler
6,099 Posts
Maybe it's because there are less deer and people are sick of the ODNR lying about it. Just a guess though.

·
Premium Member
10,814 Posts
carp,

can you provide a source for the percentage of reduction please.

A 35% reduction from 2011 - 2012 sounds extremely high and then an additional 25% reduction this year, 2012 to 2013, would mean that only 48% as many people are buying hunting and fishing licenses that purchased them in 2011. I question someone's math somewhere,

·
She says I'm on one
908 Posts
I know the neighbor of my property and his son and brother hunt and he said none of them have bought licenses or bother tagging their deer for at least the last 5 years. They just do all the butcher work themselves so no one ever knows bambi and his parents are sitting in their freezers. And no I'm not going to report them from his story, no one likes a tattle tale and I don't want all of my stuff disappearing the next time I go out there since he lives out there.

Maybe others are going this route instead of spending the money on doing it the legal way.

·
Premium Member
10,814 Posts
Maybe others are going this route instead of spending the money on doing it the legal way.
Maybe, but the deer harvest numbers don't support a big reduction in license or tag sales.

He did however quote a reduction in hunting AND fishing license sales, so who knows how that all adds up. That's why I would like to see the numbers.

·
She says I'm on one
908 Posts
technically you still need a license, but not a either sex or early doe tag. I think you mean the land owner tag you can print off.

·
cincinnati fishaholic
273 Posts
I think there are a lot of factors. Cost is one.. lack of private ground to hunt is also one... I also think there is a lot of people not reporting kills... I don't think there is any shortage of deer out there depending on where you are but, they did reduce the limits in some areas!!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
I believe if has to do with lack of ground to hunt. I have been hunting for over 40 yrs and the land we can hunt on now if about a tenth of the size we used to hunt. Property owner has told me hunter has cut their fence or have bent them down to get over. Plus this one farmer had one of his cows shot. So he will not let anyone on his property. He has 2 or 3 people arrested every year for trespassing.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lundy,

Check the Ohio Outdoor News publication,,, ODNR's statistics not mine!

Carp.

·
Registered
322 Posts
technically you still need a license, but not a either sex or early doe tag. I think you mean the land owner tag you can print off.

Ohio Resident landowners, spouses and their children - Are not required to have a hunting license, fur taker permit, either-sex deer permit, antlerless deer permit, spring or fall turkey permit or Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp when they are hunting or trapping on land they own.

don't need a license either

·
Multi Species Angler
6,099 Posts
2012 stats are on the ODNR website. It's the 4th year in a row that overall deer tag sales dropped.

I didn't take the time to verify if the percentages are accurate. I just know that deer tag sales decreased in 2012 for the 4th consecutive year. I am not surprised by this at all.

·
Do work son.
326 Posts
I'd have to say its because everyone's license expire in February now. used to be a year from when u purchased it...if you gonna go for slug season in late november your paying 20 dollars in november then another 20 in February if u wanna do any other kind of hunting...states getting more money per person than they used to so DONT WORRY! All those guys with deep pockets are still getting deeper. Just pullin' the wool over your eyes....

·
Registered
730 Posts
Some real good points already brought up cost,loss of hunting land,game population down, I think a big one is age of people who hunt old timers are calling it quits and not enough interest from young hunters. To much iPad and Xbox. The drop in fur price probably hasn't helped either.

·
Premium Member
10,814 Posts
I'd have to say its because everyone's license expire in February now. used to be a year from when u purchased it...if you gonna go for slug season in late november your paying 20 dollars in november then another 20 in February if u wanna do any other kind of hunting...states getting more money per person than they used to so DONT WORRY! All those guys with deep pockets are still getting deeper. Just pullin' the wool over your eyes....
The license has expired at the end of February since the 70's for sure, maybe even prior to that.

If like you say the one year from purchase is a concern and a hunter buys a license in Nov to slug hunt as you suggest, his license would expire right before the next slug season. Yearly out of pocket expense is exactly the same no matter when you purchase your license. Can you cite an example where someone is paying more with a end of Feb expiration versus a year from purchase?

All of the defined limited hunting seasons close by the last day of February, same date the license expires. There is no "season" in March except crows. Maybe you like to eat crow, not really sure.

·
Premium Member
10,814 Posts
Lundy,

Check the Ohio Outdoor News publication,,, ODNR's statistics not mine!

Carp.
Go back and read that article a little more closely.

The numbers you cite were for a very short spring time period of the year NOT the total sales for the year.

·
She says I'm on one
908 Posts
Thanks for the update, last time I looked I thought I read everyone needed a license and just printed the tags. Those numbers could drop even more when I don't buy one anymore:)

·
Banned
107 Posts
I want to know where all our money goes for the hunting license and deer tags I buy. I mean I unfortunately have several public hunting areas in my county and they don't do sh!t to manage them. It's sad really. I mean where does that money go other than to pockets. I don't see them purchasing land, managing property already owned or putting in food plots. The "dove fields" are about it. At least w fish they stock fish. Lol. And really if you aren't centered around Columbus Cincinnati or Cleveland then ur not going to see as much money dumped your way but then all I see around the public hunting and fishing areas is either out of state or big city tags. I really don't care for the way this division is ran and they keep sending me surveys. How many wild quail did i harvest last year and what not. The 10 page responses I send never seem to be responded to and I provide them w 3 ways to contact me. Why not speak to someone about their concerns or ideas w the division? But other than that I'm happy the numbers are down. More room for me and my kids to hunt. I'm ready for an put of state deer lottery too. Sorry for the rant

1 - 20 of 32 Posts