close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Opinions on a truck

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bassn317, Mar 21, 2005.

1. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

I'm going to go check out a 2002 Ford Ranger supercab 4 Dr 4x4 with a 4.0 tonight. Has anybody had any (good or bad) experiences with these. I'm going Ranger because it's the price range I need to be in and I presently have a Ranger and other than it's a 4 cyl and not 4x4, I have been very happy with it. I would prefer a Jeep but I want the bed. I also would prefer a Dakota, but don't like the prices.

Let me have it

Thanks

2. iwdavefish

iwdavefish Fishin' Fanatic

I've got a 2001 Ranger 4x4 extended cab with the 4 liter engine. The gas mileage sucks. I'm talking 13mpg. Took it to the dealer thinking something was wrong with it and was told that is normal in the winter. Now that it's a bit warmer I'm getting around 15mpg which still seems a bit ridiculous. I won't buy another just based on the mileage. My last truck was a Dodge Ram 4x4 with a 318 and I got the same mileage I'm getting now. Kind of defeats the purpose of driving a smaller truck.

3. Have a 93 ranger v-6 4.0 4x4 that has 198000 mile on it. I have had to do only regular maintenance on it plus one fuel sensor. I have put this truck through some tough days and it just keeps on going.

4. I've got an 2003 Ranger Supercab 4.0 4X4, no problems as of yet, and I drive 110 miles/day round trip to work. I average 19 miles/gallon. Just did the new air filter and oil change last week - checked milage this morning 315 miles on 16.68 gallons = 18.89 miles/gallon This tank included pulling the boat around all day Sunday.

iwdavefish - Your truck either doe not run properly, or Ford has made big improvements from 2001 to 2003.

5. I have a 2004 ext. cab XLT 4x4 with the 4.0

I got about 22mpg going to S.C. with about 1000 miles on the truck. I average around 18mpg driving 50mile round trip to work and the running around that I do. The motor has plenty of power stock (did I just say that?)

BTW mine has 4:10 ring and pinion and a 5 speed

6. bassn317

Pole,

Thats what the 2 that I am looking at are. the one I like has the towing package and a hard tonneau cover and 31K mile for $13,500. It does have an accident (minor) according to carfax. The other does not have towing or any cover but was maintained regularly with no accidents. It is going for $15400. I really like the 1st one and the price, but the accident scares me a little. I'm going to check them out after work.

7. iwdavefish

iwdavefish Fishin' Fanatic

Fish-n-Fool,

I kinda had a feeling there is something wrong with it. It jacked me off that the dealer said it was normal to get that kind of mileage. Other than the mileage it runs great. I'd never know something was up if I didn't keep track of the gas.

8. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

I think we get some of that winter blend gas in this state. Supposed to reduce emmissions but it turns your gas milage to pathetic in some cars. My truck loses a few MPGs in the winter as well.

9. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I get 16 mpg with my '93 Silverado 350 V-8 with automatic overdrive. Now I don't feel so bad.....
    I drive with a light foot too, sometimes driving technique need some improvement.
    Maybe look up on the net somewhere what the mileage is estimated to run for that vehicle, I'm with you, it just doesn't sound right.

10. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I have had 3 rangers, and currently own a 2004...I would highly reccomend them, as they seem to run forever..With that being said, they do seem to lack a little on the gas milage..I have a 3.0 v6 and get 23 mpg, just what the sticker said it would get.

11. basn317, for what it's worth, the accident shouldn't matter as long as it was fixed right. I had a truck with basically a total-out type accident. After it was fixed (frame realigned by a dealer mind you), I put 125k miles on it. Had a couple problems coaxing bed support bolts into the right place after I removed the bed...but that is to be expected when a long bed is folded like a taco. If it is fixed, mechanical things that haven't failed as a result of the impact (within the next couple weeks after accident) probably are fine and I'd be satisfied that they are fine. Good luck.

oh yeah...i've got a nissan 5.6L and only manage 12-14 mpg...so much for imports getting 30mpg. helps to have 300+ HP though.

12. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

davefish, with a 4x4, the extra weight of the front drivetrain can be quite a drag even on a v-8 much less a v-6. I have a 95 f150 with a 5.0 and I get the same gas mileage as you get in a 2 wheel drive. By comparison, I had an 02 explorer with the 4.0 and averaged about 16, I now have an 04 supercrew with the 5.4 and get about 18 mpg. A bigger engine doesn't work as hard, hence better mileage out of a bigger vehicle. You may want to try stepping the rear end gears down to see if that helps. Don't know how it will effect towing for you, but it could help the gas mileage. Hope this helps.

Good luck with the ranger!

13. Rangers are tough as nails and in my opinion blow the rest of the little trucks out of the water with durability and toughness. We have a 93 here at work that has just shy of 200,000 miles on it. gets beat to crap daily & keeps coming back (same treatment just sent a dodge 3500 dualy with a v-10 to the grave @ only 125,000).

I have had several rangers from 97-03, all have treated me well.
    If you want a dog get the 4 banger
    middle of the road economy anf performance get the 3.0 (bit small for 4x4 in my opinion)
    If you want plenty of power, 4.0 is perfectly matched to that truck.
    My trucks were all 2 wheel drive I've had all 3 motors most autos, one stick, most extended cabs, 1 regular...........all got 17-20 MPG.

14. bassn317

I went ahead and got the 4.0 4X4. It's loaded including a hard tonneau cover, off road package, and MP3 stereo. I waxed it all up Saturday and only seen 2 scuffs that I should be able to buff out. Nice curves in the body too. Yep I'm in love with it. It has 34K miles which IMO is low. I traded in a 2WD Ranger with a 4 bangin 2.0. It was a good truck too, but I wanted the 4x4.