Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a believer in doing homework before I go fishing. If anything, it can at least make me feel like I am fishing when I am not, like when at work (on break of course!). I like to look up the conditions such as water levels, temps, winds etc..

While all of this info has been available for a long time, it has always been scattered between multiple, hard to navigate sites. You could never get the big picture on one page until now.

I am developing a site that migrates several different data sources into one. The first BETA page is ready for use. I decided to start with my favorite lake, Berlin. I will expand to other lakes if folks find this useful.

http://mylakeinfo.com/oh/berlin/berlin.php

In one glance you will see all the available information for that particular lake including:

Water Level (with 7 day trend chart and graph)
Buoy Water Subsurface Temps every 3 feet (with color chart)
Dam Outflow Temp (with 12 hour trend and buoy matching color)
Dam Outflow CFS (with 12 hour trend)
Upstream Feed Temp (with 12 hour trend and buoy matching color)
Upstream Feed CFS (with 1 and 12 hour trend)
Air Temp (with 1 and 12 hour trend)
Air Pressure (with 1 and 12 hour trend)
Wind Speed
Wind Direction (with animated lake map overlay)
Animated Weather Radar
10 Day Extended Forecast (with Temp/Wind/Precip/Conditions)
Sunset/Sunrise Times
Moon Phase

Let me know what you think. If I find that people are using this, I will add West Branch and Skeeter next.

Thanks!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the next two I will do are West Branch (Kirwan) and Mosquito, but only after I am convinced that others will use it and find it useful. I built this for my own use originally and since I only fish Berlin for the most part, that is the water I chose to use.

But I can convert this to pretty much any data providing body of water including all USACE controlled lakes and more.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The data is sourced from the National Weather Service (radar), US Army Corps of Engineers (buoy data), USGS (temps and flows), and the Weather Underground (weather data).

·
Registered
856 Posts
I like it. Wish it was a little easier to see on my phone, but I can find the info I'm looking for. I don't know how long it took you to do this but you did a fine job. I have always gone to three or four different sites trying to find this info, and you took it all and put it on one page. THANKS A LOT!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like it. Wish it was a little easier to see on my phone, but I can find the info I'm looking for.
Thanks for the input. Help me on that point a bit. How did you end up using the page on your phone? Did you pinch and zoom to look at the different objects etc?

And if I could ask one other thing, how would you prefer the data on your mobile device? Perhaps vertical and simple scroll down (instead of zoom?).

My idea was to be able to see all the data points on the screen at once (obviously on destop/laptop screen). This may not be practical on a mobile device so perhaps a different version (switchable of course) for phones/pads etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
just out of curiosity, why do the buoy temps show mid 50s for water temp when the input and output are significantly lower? I just wanted to know what I am looking at on here.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Thanks for the input. Help me on that point a bit. How did you end up using the page on your phone? Did you pinch and zoom to look at the different objects etc?

And if I could ask one other thing, how would you prefer the data on your mobile device? Perhaps vertical and simple scroll down (instead of zoom?).

My idea was to be able to see all the data points on the screen at once (obviously on destop/laptop screen). This may not be practical on a mobile device so perhaps a different version (switchable of course) for phones/pads etc.
Yes I did the pinch and zoom. I think that scrolling down to see the maps and charts separately is a fine idea. My smart phone is relatively small in comparison to a lot of others that I see people carring. Either way it nice to find all that info in one place.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just out of curiosity, why do the buoy temps show mid 50s for water temp when the input and output are significantly lower?
Right next to the buoy temp chart you will see a notice. It says:

"Buoy data is offline November through April"

Unfortunately, USACE removes the buoys for the winter as the ice would destroy them. At the bottom of the chart you will find the last update stamp. It is reading 2016-11-07 09:00 which is the day they pulled them out. They should be dropping it back in any day now.

The time stamp and notice will change when they do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ahhh ok. that makes sense. sorry if that was a stupid question. thanks again for the page. I will definitely be keeping an eye on that for updates.:)

·
Registered
236 Posts
WOW, that is good stuff. Would make a great app. w/an entry being the lake of choice.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts