Opening day of Gun question

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by Ohio Hunter, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Hello ladies and Gentlemen. I would like to start of by saying I have enjoyed reading the post on here for sometime but this is the first post of my own. I usually spend the opening day of gun season up at Mosquito Creek then the rest of the week on a small piece of private land that I hunt ( for some reason I like the excitement of opening day on public land). I have been asked by a few buddies to head down to Highlandtown for opening day. Since I have never hunted Highlandtown what should I expect to see how Is the layout of the land or basically is it worth the trip down. Any insight would be great and I will continue to spend time at work reading everyone's posts.

2. I have been there opening day. There are a lot of people and some vans full of Amish. All deer I've seen there over the years during gun were not actually moving to feed or bed, but running all over between the shots. sitting tight with a good view may enable you to take a passer by on the run. Be careful and make sure you walk in with a flashlight because there are a lot of people coming in from all directions at Highlandtown and Brush Creek waiting for the first moment to shoot.
    ________
    FORD ESSEX V6 ENGINE HISTORY

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

3. Thanks it's not much diffrent at Mosquito, after about 8am it's a crap shoot. I am looking for somewhere diffrent with good deer numbers.

4. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

why drive all that way when skeeters 20 min away?

5. My buddies hunted Highlandtown last year the second week and seemed to like it. I think we might do skeeter the second day. I still get the chills when I think about opening day last year and the creek that was about 2 feet deeper when I walked out at 4pm than it was at 6am.

6. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

yea, that melting snow will screw up your plans out there if your not familure with the lay of the land.