Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first year ever going after snappers. I'm going to add a steel leader between the line and the hook. Any advice for bait or tactics? Hoping to keep it simple and inexpensive. I'll be putting lines out in a river and swamp area.
IMG_20210619_224839_706.jpg

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Man that’s getting pretty modern,use to be a 4/0 hook with chalk line and 1x1 stakes along with some burlap sacks. I don’t even know anybody that turtles anymore. Heck I didn’t even know that there was a season on them. Good luck and watch your fingers.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,048 Posts
I usually take one or 2 a season to eat, I use cheap dollar general/aldi steaks. make sure to check them every day no matter what and yes, don't forget the shell size limit. you're going to want something thicker than that powerpro too IMO, when the old boy digs in you will have a hard time pulling him in with your bare hands with that thin line. I use plain old white braided line. here is 10 year old video I made.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I usually take one or 2 a season to eat, I use cheap dollar general/aldi steaks. make sure to check them every day no matter what and yes, don't forget the shell size limit. you're going to want something thicker than that powerpro too IMO, when the old boy digs in you will have a hard time pulling him in with your bare hands with that thin line. I use plain old white braided line. here is 10 year old video I made.

I take a couple a year and catch a few little bluegill cut and put on hook always works

·
Registered
584 Posts
Used to get turtles with my neighbor back when I was a teenager. He always used groundhog as the meat for bait. Maybe a 3 inch "ball" of meat on a pretty substantial hook. The line he used was almost like a clothes line thickness. It did not seem to affect the catch. I think the larger hook and bait resulted only in bigger turtles. We never caught any small ones that I remember.

After catching them. I would suggest putting them in a big tub or something to let them cleanse them selves for a couple of days. Change the water each day. It obviously needs to be covered and weighted down so they can't get out. Turtles have a variety of different meats in them. Good luck and enjoy.

.... And the most important tip, do not stick your fingers in front of his mouth 😂

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,733 Posts
When we were kids, whenever we caught a snapper we would take it to our one buddy's house. His Mom was an old country gal who knew how to clean and cook turtle.

When she was done he'd invite us over for a feast of turtle stew. OMG, it was so good!

·
Registered
224 Posts
This will be my first year ever going after snappers. I'm going to add a steel leader between the line and the hook. Any advice for bait or tactics? Hoping to keep it simple and inexpensive. I'll be putting lines out in a river and swamp area. Big shrimp and garlic salt . Let that shrimp sit in a bag full of garlic salt for a day in the hot sun. Catch snappers all day and night!
View attachment 471697

·
Registered
224 Posts
This will be my first year ever going after snappers. I'm going to add a steel leader between the line and the hook. Any advice for bait or tactics? Hoping to keep it simple and inexpensive. I'll be putting lines out in a river and swamp area.
View attachment 471697
Caught this at west branch last yr. 4 that night. Shrimp and garlic. Easy as hell! Watch your fingers.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I used bluegill when I used to catch em . Needed rebaited each day . Run the hook thru the gill the back thru them a hook length behind the gill so the eye of the hook stayed under the gill plate and the shank of the hook played flat along the body .

Probably better ways to do it but caught enough to keep things interesting. .

·
Registered
843 Posts

Nice video ezbite but I could have used more Glock.

·
Registered
39 Posts

I used to target turtles a lot. My favorite method was to take a canoe into shallow water, 2-3 feet deep and watch for bubble trails. Once I saw one I'd get in the front of the canoe and lay with my chest on the bow of the boat and follow the bubbles. Once I could see the turtle either while it was on the bottom or it came up for air I'd reach down and grab the tail. It was a ton of fun and quite an adrenaline rush reaching down into murky water to grab a small dinosaur! The picture was from father's day. I was drifting slowly while fishing and had one swim by. As soon as he was within reach I grabbed him! I put him back after the picture.
16737.jpeg

1 - 20 of 41 Posts