Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Moggy had about 7 inches of ice yesterday, pretty sure Berlin wouldn't be much different.

Reactions: flyphisherman

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been a couple of great days to be out in a boat. Sideways rain yesterday and a cool breeze blowing again today.

Are you new around here? Ice takes a long time to make and equally long to melt. It's Ohio. The first week of February. If your wanting to put a boat in, make plans for Kentucky.
Ohio born and raised but I am relatively new to boat fishing I have only had my boat for a year or two and it is quite a bit different than pounding the shoreline
Besides that is why this forum exists to ask questions and share information

·
SOLID MEAT
5,521 Posts
kyle, some of the outflows from dams will be fishable from shore and will have walleye starting to run up them. I would check some of those out. there are some local and some to the south which should fish pretty good. Jig and minnows or some form of soft plastic on a jig should be the ticket. minnow and bobber in the slower water.

·
Powderfinger
7,769 Posts
I wouldn't want to tow my boat around this time of the year with all the salt water on the roads.

That being said I have been out several times over the years in Jan, Feb and March after good rains washed all the salt off the roads and into the locals streams and lakes and the roads were dry.

·
Tall Tales Bait and Tackle
432 Posts
Are the inland lakes open? I would like to try Berlin this week sometime if you can launch a boat
Kyle,

i checked out Berlin yesterday and we have been fishing it off and on for a few weeks. Nothing great to report as of yet. Berlin (both sides of 225) had all open water yesterday with all of the rain we had. Truthfully, at this time of the year, i don't think you need the boat out. We typically do significantly better in spawning season from shore. Most fish tend to work in shallow water or come up the rivers for the next 4-8 weeks and then it switches to crappie/white bass around here.

If you decide to fish from shore, I would recommend Milton or you could try the Mahoning River (near the 225 bidge and SE-fish jigs and 3" twister tails). If you go to Milton, fish the dam area with jigging raps/vibe E's (depending on your location-if you can get more vertical, use the Jigging Rap, if you can't, throw the Vibe E). Also, expect the Pike to be coming up the river soon also, typically caught on stickbaits/spinners/jigs around this time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Kyle,

i checked out Berlin yesterday and we have been fishing it off and on for a few weeks. Nothing great to report as of yet. Berlin (both sides of 225) had all open water yesterday with all of the rain we had. Truthfully, at this time of the year, i don't think you need the boat out. We typically do significantly better in spawning season from shore. Most fish tend to work in shallow water or come up the rivers for the next 4-8 weeks and then it switches to crappie/white bass around here.

If you decide to fish from shore, I would recommend Milton or you could try the Mahoning River (near the 225 bidge and SE-fish jigs and 3" twister tails). If you go to Milton, fish the dam area with jigging raps/vibe E's (depending on your location-if you can get more vertical, use the Jigging Rap, if you can't, throw the Vibe E). Also, expect the Pike to be coming up the river soon also, typically caught on stickbaits/spinners/jigs around this time.

Good luck!
North Reservoir and Long Lake have open water...getting more open by the day. The Long Lake canal by the Kiwanis is totally open.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts