close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Open season on Cats

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fffffish, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fffffish

fffffish Muskie 1 Trolling Thunder

It might be fun but it would be way to easy in my neighbor hood
    Here is a link to the story to the story below
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002237748_cats11.html

Wisconsin may legalize killing feral cats
    By John McCormick
    Chicago Tribune
    MADISON, Wis. — Fluffy is in the crosshairs in Wisconsin, and cat lovers nationwide are rallying to try to defeat a proposal that could lead to the legalized shooting of stray cats. Not since an emotional debate in 2000 over the creation of a hunting season for mourning doves has there been so much controversy over the killing of an animal in this state, a place where outdoor traditions run deep.
    Death threats have been made against the western Wisconsin firefighter who first proposed that hunters, farmers and others be allowed to kill free-roaming cats to control their population, estimated at a million-plus statewide.
    The proposal meets its first formal hurdle this evening, when thousands of people are expected to provide an advisory vote at conservation hearings in each of the state's 72 counties. Horrified cat lovers and the Wisconsin Humane Society are encouraging opponents to attend the hearings, which traditionally have been dominated by hunters and outdoor enthusiasts.
    The proposal — to classify feral cats as an unprotected species — would still need approval from the state Natural Resources Board and Wisconsin lawmakers. A small-game license might be needed to kill a cat, depending on whether they are deemed wild animals or a public nuisance.
    A wild or feral cat is typically defined as one with no collar that does not show friendly behavior. Wildlife officials say studies suggest they kill millions of songbirds in Wisconsin each year.
    For some, the elimination of such cats has long been considered part of the "sportsman's code," a way to protect game birds. Many farmers and rural residents also routinely kill the animals. But shooting a cat is technically illegal in Wisconsin, even if it is harming livestock.
    Mark Smith, a La Crosse, Wis., firefighter who traps and hunts, first made the feral-cat proposal after he was angered by cats that prowl around his home's birdfeeder. He did not return a phone call requesting an interview.
    Before the proposal reached the statewide level, it was passed on a 53-1 vote a year ago at the La Crosse County hearing of the Conservation Congress, an advisory group to the state Department of Natural Resources.
    "We agree that cats don't belong in the wild," said Ted O'Donnell, who has helped organize a Web site and printed T-shirts in support of feral cats. "But this is probably the least progressive way to approach the feral-cat issue."
    O'Donnell, a 30-year-old Madison pet-store owner and self-described "cat freak," is one of the leaders of the "Don't Shoot the Cat" movement, an effort that has politely, yet forcefully, taken on one of Wisconsin's most powerful political lobbies: hunters.
    Feral cats play an important role in reducing rodent populations, said O'Donnell, who has five cats. He said his group is also encouraging farmers to help spay and neuter cats.
    Hunters, especially those who live in the city and don't see as much feral-cat activity, are far from unified.
    "It's probably not a good idea, because you don't know if you are shooting someone's pet or a feral cat," said Gary Dallmann, a turkey and deer hunter from Madison.
    Copyright © 2005 The Seattle Times Company

2. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I know there would be more dead cats aroudn my house if it weren't for the fact that neighbors are so close. so called house cts that get to run free in the town and they come to my yard to poop and walk all over the vehicles.

people kill these cats anyway. I know around here they do.

I am not totally against cats, but I think they should have the same things as dogs. liscense and all that. Should not be aloud to run free as many people in my neck of the woods allows.

3. My people are firm believers in that we don't believe in killing anything you ain't going to eat. And I don't want to eat no cat. And I don't think I would get a whole lot of fun out of shooting some little neighborhood girl's house pet.

4. fffffish

fffffish Muskie 1 Trolling Thunder

You must not visit many Chinese restaurants :D

5. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Feral cats and house cats on the loose or the #1 killer of small game animals in this country (and others I would guess). I won't kill one in the city, but if I see one while hunting...it's a nuisance species and will be dealt with as such.

I know it's harsh, but those things have got to be controlled.

6. catking

catking Banned

Fact of the matter is the cats that run wild are DEVASTATING to wildlife and should be shot on site. Has nothing to do with the " Bambi " sydrome . I really am blown away by people who insist it's a-ok to let cats, dogs, whatever free roam and destroy wildlife.. Looks to me like Wisconsin said how many cats are running wild ? A million ? THAT'S FREAKIN CRAZY....... It sickens me to see three or four dogs biting a deer and running it until it collapses or cats killing bob white quail , turkey , and whaever else they can get a hold of........ THE CATKING !!!

7. Crankus, do not be killing cats out in the wild without the proper tag. I don't want to see you get locked up. I don't know where you people live, but I don't see cats as that big of a problem at my place. I think I have two cats that roam my ranch full time or three if I count Mr. Whiskers who only shows up once a month. I haven't really seen them destroying anything except baby bunnies and bird's nest.

Personally, I don't care for dogs that much especially when they eat up my garden or track me to my treestand, but I still don't kill them. But if that dog is a coyote, it'll get the business right between the eyes! Ever since my nephew was attacked, I'll take out every coyote I can.

8. and you don't see the problem with wild cats?

9. I think that an open season on the people that do not get their pets spayed /neutered would be more appropriate.

10. very good point Rooster

11. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

I think people who want to save animals should all get together and buy a state or 2, then take all of the animals they want to save there and while they are there...shoot themselves and leave the their land to the animals....kinda kills 2 birds with 1 stone...so to speek :eek: :eek: ;)

12. Here we go again. I am a cat lover. I am a dog lover. I am a animal lover. I am not a member of Peta. I live in the country. I have a cat. I keep my cat inside. My cat is neutered. Sometimes he escapes. He is 9 years old now. During those times that he escaped he brought home 2 wrens (bush nesters) and probably 20something mice and a couple of moles. I don't want mice around but I really didn't want Charlie to get all nasty w/them since he sleeps on my furniture. So cats are important to all of us that live at the edge of greenbelts. Remember how green last summer was. Plenty of rainfall. = more plants and resulting in plenty of seeds, etc. Plenty of mice. I had an explosion of them. If I stood still I could watch them work through tall grassy fields behind my place. Last winter they ate a hole in my garage door gasket. I didn't see it until I had them crawling live. Makes me sick. My boat, RV, and a couple muscle cars full of mouse crap.I found glue traps work best. I don't use posion because of my dogs and cat. Even thought the garage is off limits, I don't want to take chances.Besides I didn't want rotting mice in garage. I know that this method of g trap isn't the most humane but I had no other choice. One more thing, I think you got it backwards, about those states set aside for people who respect animals. Why not a state for people who don't care or hate animals. It's wrong to go shooting cats. Just medieval thinking to blame cats.

13. Cats are the worst ecological disaster to hit north america in modern times hands down. Anyone who lets their cat out to "make it happy" and thinks they feed it enough so it won't kill something is completely naive. Fluffy is perfectly happy on your couch and doesn't need to go out....EVER. It can be fed the $20 a can catfood till it weighs more than a lab and it will still kill whatever it can. They can't help it. You can't blame the cat for doing what nature designed it to but you can blame the owners and if someone let's it outside they should have their cat killed on the spot. Cats are great pets...indoor pets.

Elamenohpee, what exactly were you implying? you talking about the people who want to save the cats or the people who want to kill the cats to save the wildlife (animals) because your statement kinda attacked both sides.

14. I have two cats: one is a killer mouser, the other is a nasty little scavenger. I love both of them. Both are "fixed." Both of them spend most of their time indoors.

Living in apartments in urban areas for much of my life, I've seen some repulsive infestations of mice and rats. I've had rats eat the wiring in my car and nest in my old Evinrude 25hp. I've also had rats chase my poor girlfriend down the street (this was actually kind of funny -- shhh don't tell her).

Two things seem to reduce the rodent population, in my limited experience: poison, which works as long as landlords are willing to pay for it and maintain pest control; and a handful of neighborhood cats, which kill the rodents with little or no cost. I don't know exactly how the poisons affect the watershed, but I'll bet they are worse than the cats in this regard.

I don't think that allowing cats to run totally wild is the solution to rodent problems in every case. And I've thrown my share of rocks at pugnacious alley cats. But, in my experience, cats do seem to keep the rodent population down in some urban areas.

JM

15. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

:D I agree and we could call it the "B.B.P.C.A." (Bob Barker Population Control Act) :D :D ;)

16. I have lived in the country most of my lifeand i really don`t see where the cats are such an ecological disaster. They hunt mioce, moles and wrens and in the spring they get a baby rabbitonce in a while. My animals are spayed or neutered just to keep them from running. Last year the biggest buck ever to get in my sights was chasedf off by a coyoette. The thirty years i9 have lived in ohio they were never seen now they are everywhere. In the mountains of wva where i grew upnever heard of them only saw them out west now thedeer kill has been down 50% every for the last 3 yearsand they say it is the mast .But what i see in the snow around the beds are coyotte tracks. Better take care of them before youworry about some house cats, They will kill young turkey chicks, rabbits, squirrels,pheasants, and anything elose that represents food.

17. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

I like the idea of coyotes taking care of the cat population...after all, dogs were sent to the earth to rid humankind of cats in the first place.

18. So do cats, and there are way, WAY, more cats running around than coyotes. If some of you acutally knew what your cats were up to when out running around, you may have a better undertanding of the problem. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't dead.

19. coyotes have a very small impact on the deer herds as well, while they may be able to take down a sick or injured deer, and mabye occasionally a healthy one if working in a pack they really represent a very small factor in deer deaths. you really want to get rid of their main predators then tell people to drive a little more carefully at night.

Here are some facts for those people that don't see a problem:

the United States has approximately 60 million pet cats and 60 million ferals. Feral populations are swollen by breeding and the dumping of unwanted pets; 5 million cats and dogs are 'dumped' annually according to the US Department of Agriculture while American surveys suggest that between 36% and 60% of unneutered pet cats go feral within 3 years.

A single individual free-ranging cat may kill 100 or more birds and mammals per year. Scientists in Wisconsin estimate that cats kill at least 7.8 million birds per year in that state alone.

Observation of free-ranging domestic cats shows that some individuals can kill over 1000 wild animals per year [7], although smaller numbers are more typical. Some of the data on kills suggest that free-ranging cats living in small towns kill an average of 14 wild animals each per year. Rural cats kill many more wild animals than do urban, or suburban cats [8]. Several studies found that up to 90% of free-ranging rural cats' diet was wild animals, and less than 10% of rural cats killed no wild animals [9]. Recent research [10] suggests that rural free-ranging domestic cats in Wisconsin may be killing between 8 and 217 million birds each year. The most reasonable estimates indicate that 39 million birds are killed in the state each year. Nationwide, rural cats probably kill over a billion small mammals and hundreds of millions of birds each year. Urban and suburban cats add to this toll. Some of these kills are house mice, rats and other species considered pests, but many are native songbirds and mammals
    whose populations are already stressed by other factors, such as habitat destruction and pesticide pollution.

Worldwide, cats may have been involved in the extinction of more bird species than any other cause, except habitat destruction. Cats are contributing to the endangerment of populations of birds such as Least Terns, Piping Plovers and Loggerhead Shrikes. In Florida, marsh rabbits in Key West have been threatened by predation from domestic cats [11]. Cats introduced by people living on the barrier islands of Florida's coast have depleted several unique species of mice and woodrats to near extinction [12, 13].

You might only see a few birds or chipmunks a year but that doesn't mean that is all there is. So my final question, unless you have a severe mouse problem why do people let their cats outside?

20. Cats that run loose only...
    Kill em all let God sort them out ;)