Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
August 5th. I picked up my brother at 07:45 for a bank catfishing trip to the Ohio River. It was a perfect day for fishing bright sun but mild temperature. The river was still muddy with slow current. We got 5 rod in the water by 08:45.with all kinds of bait: such as fresh skipjack, shad and seasoned chicken breast.

At 09:05 I had a tap on fajita seasoned chicken breast, but the fish never ran with the bait. I had another tap on the same bait at 09:18; thought we were going to have some action at last. Finally at 10:10 I hooked my first flathead in a couple years. It hit on a strip of fresh Shad, it swallowed the bait. I measured the fish it was 18 inches, 2 pounds12 ounces. After I took 2 photos it was returned to the river. At 10:40 I had another fish hooked as least for two turns of the reel. That is when the hook came off due to my poor knot tying. Needless to say I was very upset for it felt like a decent size fish.

My brother got two taps on this trip. We just do not understand why, even with fresh cut bait we are not getting more solid bites. Poor results considering we had 5 rods and fished till 12:00. To put a positive spin on the trip, at least we got some fresh air.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts