close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

One more time around...

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Salmonid, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Got a specific question about circle hooks. In my SW region Post this morning about the GMR, last night I deep hooked (not Gut) a small flattie and cut the line. Fish were not running, just sitting there chewing and swallowing.
    My question is, if the fish are just sitting and swallowing, would a circle hook have helped or would he have just swallowed that one as well?
    I was using a 6/0 Octopus hook.
    I might add the 2nd fish I caught was perfectly hooked in the corner of his mouth as was Nates fish.

Anyone ever use a circles and still gut hook a fish?

Im curious here since I already got a friendly PM telling me I should be using Circles for just this reason :D

Thanks,
    Salmonid

2. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

Not with flatties, but on occasion with chubs while smallie fishing. If they stay put and eat the bait you just can't tell they are on the line. Circle hooks are great, and usually do what they are designed to do, but just like anything else they don't always work exactly how they are supposed to. At the end of the day, you have done your part to be a responsible and ethical catch and release fisherman, but the fish did not do his job correctly. lol

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

circles do not prevent gut hooking.
    they do greatly mimimize the chances,when set properly,which is their intended purpose,but if a fish swallows the bait,normally it's gut hooked,just as it would be with any other style hook.
    i speak from personal experience ;)

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

It happens to everyone at one time or another...I love my 8/0 circle hooks for cutbait for flatheads...I still have some doubts with them while using live baits.

5. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

I dont use them at all...weather it be any size cut bait or any size live bait.
    Circle hooks are not all they are cracked up to be...more "hype" than "bite" IMO.

I have never gut hooked a flathead...but then again i only give them 2-3 seconds at the max. when the clicker starts singing. Plus i dont use small baits...not so easy to swallow quickly or just "mouth" and sit there. 10/0 4x-strong Gamakatsu live bait hooks for me.
    With cut bait that can be an issue..if its big and live they have to catch and kill it..they can'nt just ease up and suck on the bait.

Scott

6. I do plead ignorance here for 3 reasons, first Im a newbie flathunter, lets face it, when Mellon is my Mentor, you know Im at the bottom of the foodchain, ;) (sorry Bryan, couldnt pass that one up)
    secondly, this was only my 3rd flattie ( 4th I caught right after that)so experience with bites is minimal.
    Third, is it was my first cast with a fair sized goldfish ( 4-5") into more current then Im used to fishing so the normal tight line bend on the rod was more then Im used to. and the rod bowed a little more then usual and I set the hook, he was on. Clickers never clicked so he definately came up on it, pulled up a chair and made a meal right there in the restaurant instead of getting it "to go". Being my first cast, I was still feeling out the pull of current is what I am trying to say.

More experience will help this from happening again but I was curious if the circles would help, some think so, others do not. Ill pick some up and make my own decision here.

Go Figure....

Salmonid

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Mark, we ought to go out for Channels some night. We'll use rod holders & circle hooks. In my opinon the right rod holder is more important that the type of circle hook. Craw Daddys (in New Carlisle) has some rod holders tha twould work for your rods @ $7 a piece or something like that. I love circle hooks, espically for cut bait. Now I still use them for live bait, but next time I use a large bluegill, rockbass, crappie, bass, etc..... I'm most likely going to use some of my Gama Wild River 9/0 hooks that I bought last winter. Jack missed a nice one on Sunday; Live Golsfish & 8/0 Gama Circle. (Yes, thats right the GREAT FLATHUNTER lost a fish & it had nothing to do with me!!!!) If you read this before 5pm, call me at work. Let;s go out tonight to the Playground or even a spot or two I know about. I want you to try & use the circles, see what you think of them. Is there anyway to use rod holders @ the Playground? There wasnt at the spot I was fishing at that location.

8. Ive gut hooked fish with every hook Ive ever used.
    Ive missed fish with every hook Ive ever used.
    Ive caught fish with every hook Ive ever used.
    I think its fun expermenting with different setups Im a technical kind of guy who enjoys that. But deep down inside I know I could take 6/0 eagle claw 084's & catch just as many fish as I could with any setup. But that wouldnt be near as fun or near as agrevating. Good luck & I hope you can find faith & comfort in what ever you all decide is the best!.......Abu65

9. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Only problem ive had with true circle hooks is the very small gap between the hook point and the shank..WAY to narrow for the size live baits i ran(10"-14").
    I used the Gamakatsu "hybrid" style circles..bigger gap, but they didnt come any biger than 8/0 and too thin of a gauge wire for big flatheads near cover with 50 lb test dacron, drag lock up tight...the hook gave or ripped out evertime...on the 10/0 live hooks, they held on tight to the fish and ive never broke one.....anything other than 4x-strong...ive broken it in my time!

These are my own experiences with circles, if you fish smaller baits and mostly open water, then they might be to your likeing?

Scott(aka FlatheadManiac)

10. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

anybody use Kahle (sp?) hooks. I am also new to catfish in general and have trying this it out summer. I have been using circles and kahle's. Have cought some decent channels on live gills. but no flatheads. I am not even sure there are any in the lake I am fishing. I was told by a neighbor that there were big flats in this lake but have to see one. My buddy and I are going to try some spots on the lmr that we have scouted. I am not sure how much different the rig for river fishing is from the rigs in were using in the lakes but I guess I'll figure it out on the water. Do you guys have a preference in hook size and style for river over lake fishing. Thanks

11. flathunter

Mellon is your mentor??????????? I am Mellons mentor, he is not ready to take the jump from sidkick to mentor yet, he has to land a 30-lb flathead on bait he catches before he can take that leap :D

12. flathunter

I agree with Scott, if I had to keep my drag locked down tight I would not use circle hooks..The places I fish I can fish a lose drag so having them pull out once a fish is hooked is not an issue..Mellon, please losen up your drag!

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I like my drag just like I like my women. ;)

14. peon

peon account delete

are you trying to say you like women in drag.. :D

15. flathunter

Bryan, do you like my avitar?????