Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Resident fishing idiot
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watched a crane try and grab this fish today, but it couldent get it out of the water... Those birds have powerful beaks...

Attachments

·
Just practicing my cast
4,730 Posts
That fish had a bad day. :D

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Unreal how cruel nature is but... on the bright side that fish will be getting a really close parking spot from now on:D

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Are you sure it was a Crane? They usually just stand by the waters edge down here getting smaller fish. Osprey's down here will get or try to get big Saugers out of the water, diving straight down and coming up 20 yds away from where they went in. Here are 2 Cranes and an Osprey overhead. Still fun to watch though:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Caught a carp at alum that was s shaped, but it was more like he was arching his back.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
That is crazy . The ones down here just stand by the water and pick bait off until they are full because there is like an established route the bait takes and they know where it is. There is a pair of them and one will run the other off, territorial. The Black birds stand by the river and see all the minnows go by and do their best to stay dry, what a show!! But the Ospreys will dive and come up somewhere away from where they went in and if we are "surf" casting will try to pick off the big pencil poppers we throw!!:D Ther are some on the Scioto river that seem like you can cast within 3 ft of and won't even move. Don't want to give that spot up.:D

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
Ther are some on the Scioto river that seem like you can cast within 3 ft of and won't even move.
Does anyone else think some of the herons are becoming less wary? They've always flown away, croaking insults, any time we got near, but in the last few years it seems some of them stay in place and watch us float by.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Does anyone else think some of the herons are becoming less wary? They've always flown away, croaking insults, any time we got near, but in the last few years it seems some of them stay in place and watch us float by.
I was surprised to get close enough to the ones at Greenup to even get those pics. They don't care much for humans. You should see them fight over which one will get the "sweet spot" The one on the Scioto down here was halfway across the river in a sweet spot and would not move, so we weren't physically close to it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My son, when he was younger, used to think those cranes were dinosaurs. Everytime he would see one he would tell the family he saw a flying dinosaur while at the lake. Ha ha, good times.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Dang are you sure that wasn't one of the Angry Birds that attacked
that thing!? :D

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
3 years ago ice fishing, i had one waiting about 10 yards away from me for bluegill handouts... he was a unlucky bird that day... i couldnt buy a bite! he made his rounds to other shacks on the lake... i think that Heron figured out a good meal plan!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts