Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
10,534 Posts
Back when Gander Mountain was still open I bought a pair of breathable, stockingfoot waders, with gravel cuffs, and a pair of wading shoes. One of the best equipment purchases I have ever made. Very flexible in what I can do with them. If I want to wade wet, I wear the shoes and gravel cuffs. The waders are still cool even into June, since the water is usually cooler than the air. and I can still use them in colder weather since they are roomy enough for me to layer up.

I got tired of the old canvas jobs that were hot and heavy! Never tried the neoprenes since reading in a John Gierach essay about them where he wondered if they were some sort of elaborate joke being played on wading fishermen. Since they were the latest and greatest, he went right out an bought some. He wrote it didn't matter what the air temp, water temp, waterproof condition of the waders was, when you pulled them off, you were wet! From sweat!

Reactions: Ten Bears

·
Registered
481 Posts
In the warmer months it mostly depends on how much trash is in the river and the substrate. Another factor is if I'm walking through brush.

I fish the scioto a lot and it's full of trash. I'm always worried about putting a hypodermic needle through my foot, which why I'll wade breathable waders with thick soled wading boots. I also wade the big walnut which is really clean so I mostly wear shorts or quick dry pants (depends if I'm hacking my way through nettles or not) with wading shoes.

If the substrate is mostly composed of slippery cobble I'll where waders with felt soled wading boots. I do this mostly because I broke my ankle last year and I am not as agile as I used to be. One good fall in the wrong way could send me back to being an "armchair angler" for 2 to 3 months.

I also do not wear waders where I know there are lot of briars or if I'm walking through brush for a long distance. Quick dry pants are best in that scenario and also keep the mosquitoes off your ankles.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts