Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This one’s a couple days late.
After a family Labor Day picnic I decided to hit the GMR.
Things started out a little slow but eventually the fish turned on.
My first fish was a flathead ~ 20” or so, I got that one on an XPS Nitro Shad. After loosing the Nitro Shad I tied on an XPS Nitro Minnow and caught three saugeye one right after the other. I was having a conversation with another fisherman and I mentioned that I wasn’t having such a great year for smallmouth. No sooner had I said that than I pulled one out, not a big one maybe 12” or so. Maybe five casts later I got another one; this one was a little better, it was a hair over 16” and just over 2 ¼ lb. Things slowed a little and I was thinking about leaving when a channel cat took the nitro minnow. Shortly after that I caught a bunch of drum, the biggest was 21” and a little over 4 lb. After a while I was thinking about leaving again when I hooked something that started peeling my drag. I let it run a little bit and then tightened the drag a couple clicks and put a little muscle into it. We had a see-saw battle going on for a couple minutes; then it found a snag. I was making some headway as far as getting it out but my line could take it. I went through a range of emotions, used a little profanity and ended up leaving about 30 minutes later.

·
Registered
13 Posts
River fishing is the best to have the ability to catch many different species of fish. Looks and sounds like you had a great day. Nice fish!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Is there any way to get to the west side of the dam other than walking all the way down from the boat ramp? That mus be at least a half mile.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s the west side, I know someone that lives in the neighborhood behind the dam. I had a good time up until I got broken off. I’m thinking it was a hybrid and it was a nice one; it just ran, it didn’t dive or jump. It snagged me on a sunken tree or something; I could feel it wearing itself out trying to get free, my line just couldn’t take the abrasion.

·
Registered
986 Posts
That’s the west side, I know someone that lives in the neighborhood behind the dam. I had a good time up until I got broken off. I’m thinking it was a hybrid and it was a nice one; it just ran, it didn’t dive or jump. It snagged me on a sunken tree or something; I could feel it wearing itself out trying to get free, my line just couldn’t take the abrasion.
Same thing happened to me downstream of the dam last week, was using a white grub catching smallies and saugeye. Flipped my bait behind a huge rock breaking the current, something grabbed it and just took off. I've caught 20+lb flathead using the same rod/reel/line while bass fishing, I never gained any ground on this dude. He started heading for an obvious cluster of snags I tried to rear back and horse him at that point and he broke the line.

I noticed at the end up my broken line was two little chunks of flathead slim...

I haven't had a day like you described at all this year, think the most fish I've caught in one trip may have been around 4. (aside from bluegill fishing) I hope this rain don't screw the river up to bad, like to get a few more cracks at it this year.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same thing happened to me downstream of the dam last week, was using a white grub catching smallies and saugeye. Flipped my bait behind a huge rock breaking the current, something grabbed it and just took off. I've caught 20+lb flathead using the same rod/reel/line while bass fishing, I never gained any ground on this dude. He started heading for an obvious cluster of snags I tried to rear back and horse him at that point and he broke the line.

I noticed at the end up my broken line was two little chunks of flathead slim...

I haven't had a day like you described at all this year, think the most fish I've caught in one trip may have been around 4. (aside from bluegill fishing) I hope this rain don't screw the river up to bad, like to get a few more cracks at it this year.
I think the rain might kick things up a notch. The fish are going to put on the fall feed bag pretty soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts