Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oct 10th. I got started late for today’s fishing. I netted a decent size gizzard shad at the ramp before I launched my boat. Morning was sunny, cool with a down river breeze. I headed up river to a deep section at 0915.

I had my 3 rods in the water at 09:45.and finally had some current in the river. 09:55 taps on the fresh cut shad, then it start running the reel! I felt the fish and I knew right away it was a decent size fish. After several minutes I was finally able to get it to the surface saw it was a Flathead. I had not caught a flathead in a very long time. Measured out at 30 inches, 13.5 pounds but looked bigger than that to me. Since I was fishing in forty feet of water he really gave my arms a work out getting it to the boat.

The breeze picked up and no more action so move back down river. I anchored up near the Kentucky side to get out of the wind. I fished the second spot for about 30 minutes, no action so moved down river to my third spot. I kept on getting taps on the chicken liver, cleaned me off each time. Same thing started happening on the sad oil soaked chicken breast as well. I gave up and moved to the last spot hoping to get some bites instead of taps.

Tried it there for another 30 minutes, no bites so I decided to just call it a day and head home. Great weather to be on the river and I least got a nice fish in the boat for a change. The water is really cooling down read 71 degrees on the fish finder.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Nice report Norb, always good to get a decent flathead in the boat in our area ! Ill be out sat am. Just not sure which ramp ill use

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey nl you looking to have a co angler with u on monday??? Im off n was going fishing somewhere monday anyway
Looks like I will be tied diPlomacy.Theweyjetreport for Tuesday show strong up river winds so not sure I will even try it
. Just not sire now when I will be wetting a lone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts