close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

onboard charger question?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by bmffishing247, Mar 10, 2005.

1. bmffishing247

bmffishing247 Fishing Is Life!

I was looking at the bass pro website today i i noticed a charger called the Pro Mariner Pro Sport 1.5 Battery Charger. has anyone ever seen one of these or does someone have one installed on their boat. i really am contemplating have a few on board chargers since i am carrying 3 batteries. i know they are basically a trickle charge but they have alot of nice features. plus i can leve them on over night and they will kick off on their own. i would just hate to have to take the batteries out everytime i need to charge them. any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

Jesse

2. CLappert

CLappert Gander Mtn./OBFN

if you are running 3 batteries 2for trolling motor 12/24v or 24v 1 cranking get a 3bank charger or just a 2 bank your cranking battery will charge while the outboard is running
    these are great and hassel free well worth the cost

3. Don't count on your outboard doing a good job of charging your starting battery until you check how many amps output it has. If you are running your accessory's off the starting battery, my suggestion would be to check the state of charge after every trip or go the three bank route for convenience and to insure a full charge condition when you start. I have a two bank on my 24V trolling motor battery's and charge my starting battery separately when needed.

4. CLappert

CLappert Gander Mtn./OBFN

good point Shortdrift it is all about the amp. draw Vs. out put

5. I just bought the dual pro 3 bank SE. So far so good.

6. Minor

Minor Wannabe Fisherman

definitely agree with shortdrift . . . have a 2bank for my 24v . . .but found myself one day with a nearly dead cranking battery . . .now between trips i check the charge on it and have considered adding a single bank to my cranking one as well . . . just for convience . . .:) Good Luck . . . !!

7. I Have A 3 Bank Charger On My Boat...cant See Waiting To Charge 1 Battery At A Time...well Worth The Money To Me.....

8. I have used this on two boats and it works out fine for an external charger.

Purchase two, 220 volt plugs, one male and one female. These must be used as they are polarized. Also get some 12 gauge lamp cord (hard to find but it is available). Make sure you maintain polarity and attach the wire to the battery posts and wire to the female plug, not the male as the prongs are exposed and can short out the battery. Now, maintain polarity as you wire the male plug. Drill a short length of 2x4 and through bolt a couple 1/4" bolts onto the board. Attach the leads from the female plug to the bolts.

Now Carefully trace out the wire polarity from the battery, through the plug(s) connections and to the bolts, then mark the bolts Red for positive and black for negative. I used electrician colored tape.

The female plug is permanently wired to the battery and can be left in the battery compartment until you need to charge. Connect the male and female plugs, then attach the portable charger clips to the proper bolts. When charged, simply disconnect and toss the female plug back in the battery well.

This polarized system eliminates having to jump into the boat to connect and disconnect the portable clips as long as you left the female plug lead long enough.

9. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Go with the dual pro three bank. It's a little more money but you won't go wrong with it. I have one on my Ranger and my last set of Delco batteries lasted 7 years. It's because I charge my battereis as soon as I get home and I leave them plugged in all the time. The thing about Dual Pro is when the batteries are charged they shut off completly, no trickle charge to boil the batteries like some other chargers do. When the charger senses a drop in voltage they kick back on until charged then shut off again.

10. I have my batteries pulled from the boat at the end of the year because I was upgrading to 24 volt. I bought a Dual Pro three bank charger and have it connected to the batteries in the baseent (up on 2X4's) . The other great feature about Dual Pro that Orlando mentioned is that each of the banks are separate entirely. So, if one batteries gets a little low, just that bank kicks on. And auto shuts off after it charges. I need some good weather to get kickin' so I get the batteries back in the boat. A lot of work in so little time.

Eric

11. Shortdrift has a good idea. Only thing I would add is an in-line fuse at the + battery terminal.

12. I'm interested in buying a 2- or 3-bank on-board charger (finally). Do those of you who employ them find that your batteries are charged overnight? Can you tournament fish one day (or night) and be back to 100% charge within 12 hours? 24 hours?

I will take free advice on features/options/styles so that I may benefit from everyone else's knowledge and experience. Translation: I'm too cheap to experiement--tell me what works and what doesn't! :D

13. I found the earlier post and think the Dual Pro is the shizzle. Thanks for the lead TritonBill.