close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Onboard Battery charger

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by jaredj, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Hi All, I need a 3 bank battery charger. I don't want to spend alot, What would you all recommend? I have 3 batteries, 2 for trolling motor 24v and 1 for the Motor. Thanks all

2. I know you said that you don;t want to spend a lot, but several guys on here think the world of their Dual Pro chargers. I just got one on Ebay for $230 that is 3 banks 45 amp total. You have to dig for them, and expect people to bid on them. I think I got lucky. Mine was hidden very well. It books for $340 at BPS. Mine is a Ranger model, but it's nothing more than a Dual Pro charger with a Ranger sticker on it.

Eric

3. Cabelas has a three bank 20 amp for 169.99. I bought a two bank about three years ago and had no problems with it. Best investment I ever made ...JIM

4. Here are a few I'm looking @

Cabelas- ProSport 20 plus @ $154.99
    Bass pro- SALE Bass Pro Shops® XPS 10/10/10 for 199.99
    Minkotta MK 330 for 259.00 with 35$ rebate

What would you pick? Thanks all

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I dont think you can go wrong with any of em. OB chargers are soooooo sweet. I love my dual pro :D

6. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Spend the extra bucks and get the Dual Pro. Your batteries will love you for it. Dual Pro chargers charge your batteries then they completely shut off
    (no trickle charge to boil batteries) then when they sense low voltage they kick back on until fully charged again. They also have the best customer service in the buissness. Charging your batteries as soon as you get home from the lake will also extend battery life. My last set lasted 8 years of alot of use, I tribute this to the Dual Pro and immediate charging after use. I leave my charger plugged in 24-7 365 days a year. You get what you pay for. Good luck

7. Although called "on board" you really don't charge while boating.

I am in the process of re-wiring my motor by using a diode type splitter where the boat motor alternator will also charge my second 12 volt battery, that I use for accessories, while running.

I did this in my van it it worked great. Am I making a mistake here ?

8. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

I doubt that chargering your trolling motor batteries with your big motor will work very well for a few reasons. If you use your electric trolling motor very much it would take quite alot of running time with the big gas motor to charge up your batteries. Around Ohio the lakes just aren;t big enough unless you do hours of trolling with the gas engine. Also the smaller gas motors don't put out enough amps to charge both your starting battery and the trolling motor batteries. Just my 2 cents

9. I agree about the 24 volt trolling motors, but I was slightly off the subject here, talking about two 12 volt batteries using the second one for fishfinder etc.

10. Does it matter what series or do all the Dual pros work the same?

11. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

I would have to look but I beleive the only difference between them is the rate in which they will charge your battery. I have the three bank 10 amp charger and it will charge each battery at 10 amps ,my batteries charge up in a matter of 3- 4 hours after a day of fishing. If they are almost completely dead it will take almost overnight. I personally wouldn't get anything less tha 10 amp. Good luck

12. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

The 10 amps will certainly work fine but will take a little longer to completely charge if the batteries are completely drained. A 15 amp would decrease the charge time for faster turn around time....just a thought.

13. Is there any website that review onboard chargers? Thanks

14. www.dualpro.com has a lot of info on their chargers. I love my charger, they even sent me a new one after 2 years and upgraded it for free because they thought the problem might have been the charger. It turned out it was the batteries so I got a charger upgraded for free!

15. I think I'll get the Dual pro 3-BANK PRO SE. Would this be a good one? Where is the cheapest place to buy it? :) Thanks all

16. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

That one will work fine. I'd check Bass Pro, Cabelas and do a online search. Good luck