Ohio Game Fishing banner

761 - 773 of 773 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Looks great! I like the marinaded skirt steak package they sell at Costco, the flavor is great and always tender. Just take it out of the package and give it 5 minutes a side on a really hot grill.

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
Have never had skirt steak. A friend told me to cook one but when I checked them out they looked full of grissel. What's a simple marinade?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
Have never had skirt steak. A friend told me to cook one but when I checked them out they looked full of grissel. What's a simple marinade?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Olive oil,soy sauce,lime juice 1/3 each.
Sear on a super hot grill or cast iron. Slice against the grain.
Imo it's a chewier version of flank steak. .
Great for tacos
I cut off any hard fat or silver skin. An left the soft fat on it.
It's typically a thin cut an when you buy it's usually folded so it looks thicker in the package

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Its kind of like alot of things that were once considered bad cuts and were cheap. There was a time when this would have ended up in burger. It's belly meat. Folks that couldn't afford more expensive cuts of meat figured out ways to make them good! Now we get to pay high prices for them. BBQ is a great example. Remember the days when chicken wings were considered a wasted piece? These are more expensive than drumsticks now, and in fact I often buy drumsticks and use them when I want wings. Ox tails? Short ribs? Ground chuck? Brisket?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Its kind of like alot of things that were once considered bad cuts and were cheap. There was a time when this would have ended up in burger. It's belly meat. Folks that couldn't afford more expensive cuts of meat figured out ways to make them good! Now we get to pay high prices for them. BBQ is a great example. Remember the days when chicken wings were considered a wasted piece? These are more expensive than drumsticks now, and in fact I often buy drumsticks and use them when I want wings. Ox tails? Short ribs? Ground chuck? Brisket?
This about the wings drives me nuts. Can never understand why they cost so much.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Short Ribs... I use to buy them for .99 package as nobody bought them.. Dag gone those were the days.. Or Beef Shank..

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,308 Posts
I agree, Ress. That bone is just for looks and costs $10 per pound!
My buddy was in the wholesale meat business, and the ribeye is his favorite cut of steak. There's a local store that has an old fashioned meat department. You take a number and wait for it to be called, and man do they go through the meat! My Mom turned me onto the place. They sell ribeyes, but not the tomahawk style. Last ones I bought I think were at $9.49/lb. That's not really that bad.

Yep! That's where the expression "Living high on the hog" came from. What cuts of meat come from the upper part of a hog? Hams, tenderloins, chops, etc. What cuts from low on the hog? Pork belly, hocks, jowls, pig's feet.

·
retired pipefitter120/669 sprinkler fitter
1,346 Posts
I use to go to a meat market in Manchester and get soup bones, butcher would ask are these for the dogs. I ask him one day why he said soup bones are free my ex use to make stock for soup with them, and a good veg soup.

·
1,867 Posts
My buddy was in the wholesale meat business, and the ribeye is his favorite cut of steak. There's a local store that has an old fashioned meat department. You take a number and wait for it to be called, and man do they go through the meat! My Mom turned me onto the place. They sell ribeyes, but not the tomahawk style. Last ones I bought I think were at $9.49/lb. That's not really that bad.

Jacobson's ?

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Dad use to work part-time as meat cutter at the West Side Market.. (Full time meat cutter for Fisher Fazio) What an experience that place was.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,308 Posts
Jacobson's?
No. I live in Youngstown, this is Rulli Brothers. They have 2 stores in the area. One in Austintown and one in Boardman.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
If anyone is close to the Pa. line, there's a meat store called Palumbo's that a great store. That's the only place i buy my meat any more, always fresh and beautiful. The butchers are behind a giant window, you can watch what ever they do. Prices are fair to middling. It is in West Middlesex and is also a "take a number" type store.

761 - 773 of 773 Posts