Ohio Game Fishing banner

621 - 640 of 644 Posts

·
"My grace is sufficient for you"
11,775 Posts
I can remember salmon patties growing up. OMG i would sit there forever waiting from mom and dad to leave so I could throw the dang things out. Oh How I hated those..
Yup...me too!
As a kid, wasn't a picky eater at all. But couldn't stand salmon patties. Drank a lot of milk trying to wash those things down.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
8,975 Posts
I actually like salmon, but have never had patties. One thing I do NOT like is when I'm served salmon that still has the lateral line in it. It is full of oil glands and tastes foul! I'd be afraid that canned salmon would have the line in it. I don't know how carefully they clean them for canning.

·
1,763 Posts
I can remember salmon patties growing up. OMG i would sit there forever waiting from mom and dad to leave so I could throw the dang things out. Oh How I hated those..
Hahah. True. Mom added some white pastey gravy with peas in it. Uuuhhhhg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing when I was a kid, 70 some years ago, Mom made em and I hated em. Haven't eaten one since I graduated high school and went into the Army....

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I actually like salmon, but have never had patties. One thing I do NOT like is when I'm served salmon that still has the lateral line in it. It is full of oil glands and tastes foul! I'd be afraid that canned salmon would have the line in it. I don't know how carefully they clean them for canning.
Don't buy the cheap ones. Pay up and you won't be sorry you tried it.

·
8,975 Posts
Heck, I've ordered salmon in fairly high end restaurants, and the lateral line is in the fillet! I hate that! I think the chef should cut that out of there before cooking. It's easy to see! I can do it post service, but I don't think I should have to! Seeing as what I'm paying for the meal!

Many years ago I heard about the "mud vein" from those who eat carp. One time, I caught a medium sized carp and decided to experiment. I spent a long time poking around in the innards of that carp looking for a vein full of mud! Many years later I found out that they were referring to the lateral line.

It seems that fish species that depend upon feeling vibration to find prey have well developed lateral lines. Those species that are more sight feeders, like walleye, smallies, crappie and the like have small lateral lines. Yet I know guys who will "zip" walleye fillets of their lateral lines. I've never noticed any off taste from the line in any walleye fillet I've ever eaten.

Reactions: ress

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Just a little appetizer, first time having Alaskan spot shrimp. Simply sauteed in butter. Will be on the lookout for more. Very sweet and tender....more like lobster than shrimp really, and the roe was mild with a nice texture.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just a little appetizer, first time having Alaskan spot shrimp. Simply sauteed in butter. Will be on the lookout for more. Very sweet and tender....more like lobster than shrimp really, and the roe was mild with a nice texture.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
If you are ever in the Florida Panhandle, get some Royal Red Shrimp from a fish market. They will blow your socks off. Usually really large, and pretty cheap. Taste like lobster more than shrimp.

·
8,975 Posts
Best chips. Don't need many to get the job done.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
I'm not a big fan of flavored chips. Most of them don't really taste like what they are supposed to be. Was at a buddy's house one day when he offered me some Utz barbeque chips. I declined, but he insisted saying they were the best BBQ chips he'd ever had. Son of a gun, he was right! But I hardly eat chips anymore. Getting off the pop and chips was what allowed me to get from 190 down to 165!

·
Registered
889 Posts
ress, in my mind that is not poor mans brisket, any cut of meat that is seasoned just right and smoked is a treat and alot of people dont realize that. after looking at your picture it sent my taste buds into overdrive, it appears you have it down pat and if it tastes anywhere near as it looks you knocked it out of the park. after seeing the pic im gonna smoke something sunday.... might try a london broil

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Foil the first 90 or last 90? That looks awesome. What seasoning?
Last 90. Double wrapped to help hold the heat in. The seasoning was a mixed of odd stuff in the spice cabinet. Bet the majority was McCormick Hamburger seasoning. There was a couple shakes of onion powder to. Last of the garlic powder and a few other shakes of what ever looked good. No salt or pepper. Smoked on a Weber Smokey Mountain using apple wood.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #640
Last 90. Double wrapped to help hold the heat in. The seasoning was a mixed of odd stuff in the spice cabinet. Bet the majority was McCormick Hamburger seasoning. There was a couple shakes of onion powder to. Last of the garlic powder and a few other shakes of what ever looked good. No salt or pepper. Smoked on a Weber Smokey Mountain using apple wood.
Thanks Ress

621 - 640 of 644 Posts