Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 644 Posts

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks great !
That's pretty much a cold weather staple at our house, lately the wife has used red skinned or golden potatoes skin on, she likes the looks but taste the same to me
Good luck and good cooking
Thanks. I usually use the Yukon gold potatoes or just reg Idaho’s too but had a bag of russets i needed to use which isn’t the best.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
8,975 Posts
Yeah, just horrible! ;)

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 tbs olive oil
Large onion diced
2 cloves minced garlic
1.5 lbs green beans cleaned and broke in half
1cp chicken broth
1 ham hoc or ham bone
Water
Potatoes peeled and halved
Extra diced ham if needed but I usually use two hocs and cook one separately, I just like that meat better.

I heat the oil in my large stock pot, cook the onions and garlic. I precook/rapid boil the hocs, one with the onion and garlic to get that meat really tender and easy to pick off. You will be able to tell when ready as the fat gets really soft and draws up on the bone.
Add the beans, broth, and just enough water to cover the beans.
Bring it to a boil then turn it down to a simmer for 35-45 min or until your broth gets a green deep brown color and the beans are good and done. about 20 mins into simmer and the potatoes. Remove the hocs and clean all the meat off of it and put it back in and just pitch the bones.
Hope ya like it.
Edit- Oh yea, no salt added, I salt and pepper to taste. You never know how much salt in in the hoc cure. And the bread is from giant eagle bakery fresh off the rack and sliced.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Man, brother, your kill'n me with these morning photos! Every time i look at your dishes, i have to go at least for a snack.
I make something similar to this dish, SP.
Same base as yours, but i use swiss chard greens and black beans rather than green beans.
Also, i make my broth with ham consumme'.

(i also love the skin on red skins + yukons)

·
Registered
556 Posts
1 tbs olive oil
Large onion diced
2 cloves minced garlic
1cp chicken broth
1 ham hoc or ham bone
Water
Extra diced ham if needed but I usually use two hocs and cook one separately, I just like that meat better.

I heat the oil in my large stock pot, cook the onions and garlic. I precook/rapid boil the hocs, one with the onion and garlic to get that meat really tender and easy to pick off. You will be able to tell when ready as the fat gets really soft and draws up on the bone.
Bring it to a boil then turn it down to a simmer for 35-45 min or until your broth gets a green deep brown color and the beans are good and done. about 20 mins into simmer and the potatoes. Remove the hocs and clean all the meat off of it and put it back in and just pitch the bones.
Hope ya like it.
Edit- Oh yea, no salt added, I salt and pepper to taste. You never know how much salt in in the hoc cure. And the bread is from giant eagle bakery fresh off the rack and sliced.
I use a cottage ham in my beans & I put my dutch oven in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour,take ham out & shred then put back in oven for another hour. I don't like to have to watch a pot on the stove. This oven method makes it much easier for me. When I have the opportunity I like to make my beans a day in advance & store in the fridge overnight. If there is any grease accumulated on top of the beans it will solidify and you can spoon it off before reheating. Some things are just better tasting the second day.

·
Registered
599 Posts
1 tbs olive oil
Large onion diced
2 cloves minced garlic
1cp chicken broth
1 ham hoc or ham bone
Water

Hope ya like it.
Thank You, for the recipe. Made it today. It is a Blue Ribbon winner, here. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,545 Posts
I use a cottage ham in my beans & I put my dutch oven in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour,take ham out & shred then put back in oven for another hour. I don't like to have to watch a pot on the stove. This oven method makes it much easier for me. When I have the opportunity I like to make my beans a day in advance & store in the fridge overnight. If there is any grease accumulated on top of the beans it will solidify and you can spoon it off before reheating. Some things are just better tasting the second day.
I agree how some things taste better the next day.

1 - 20 of 644 Posts