close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

? on PFD'S

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by truck, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Can anyone tell me where I can find info on type 5 pfd's.I was stopped over the weekend by OD of W,they wanted to give me a ticket for not having mine on,but mine do not have a sticker that says it has to be worn??Also I had more reg type PFD's on board :) Daryl

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

3. I have read the ohio regs on them,it says to go by Man. regs on wearing them.Was just wondering if I was missing something,the guy realy wanted to give me a ticket for it!If I had not also had reg PFD's he probley given me one.

4. http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/watercraft/opsguide/ohiovr2.htm

"A Type V PFD may be carried in place of a Type I, II, or III wearable PFD provided the approval label indicates that the device is approved for the activity or that it can be a substitute for the other types of PFDs. The Type V PFD must also be used in accordance with the requirements on the approval label and the requirements in its owner's manual."

Sounds like you're screwed if the label is missing or the label does not say you can wear it as a substitute. Unless of course you already have enough Type I, II, or III's on board. If you do, then it's probably best to point that out to the officer BEFORE he starts reaching for his citation booklet. ;)

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Okay guys..........See Refer to my ticket post, the ODN girl told me they were told to crack down. Truck how mant times ahve you been on the same water & never had a problem , several I'm guessing. I think we (being sportsmen) are going to feel the SHAFT from ODN for a while. Just my opinon, agree or disagree, I dont care. :mad:

6. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

#1 they don't always know the laws, my buddy was given a ticket(wrong) and he called and complained. his supervisor came over and picked up the ticket and appoligized for hte error the watercraft person had made. the sospenders (manual inflatables ) have to be worn to be considered as a pfd. i have 1 and i was told i have to wear for it to be a legal pfd????

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

that was my thought on it.guess i can see the point.if you went over,you'd have to not only get it on,but inflate it afterwards,or at the least,inflate it.guess that's why i like the typeIII.if i go in the drink without it,at least i can just grab it and hang on ;)

8. If you go in at Hoover your pet swan will probably save you. :D

9. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

:D :D hope so,but i think i need to do a little more training.he still bites ;) just in case,i picked up a new lifejacket yesterday,and will have it onboard tomorrow when i hit hoover :D ;)