close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

On Demand Water Heaters?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ruminator, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

I need to replace my conventional hot water tank and am considering these.
    Anyone have one, or know someone who does?

I'm looking for information, thanks.

For anyone doing searches, they are also called "tankless water heaters".

- Rumi

2. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

jim, i saw a episode of this old house where they installed this system and i got really intrested in it because i was due for a water heater soon. it is a heating manifold thats hung on the wall of the basement, hooked into your current plumming and only heats water when its needed. they said it is so much more efficent because theres no need for a tank to keep heating up water (which is a big enegry waste). i looked at the one they had at home depot this last summer when i replaced my water heater and they are not cheap. i guessed at the time that it would be more than $1000 to replace my old system with this manifold type system and thats having someone come in a replum everything and all wiring. im pretty handy with this type of stuff, but when it all is said and done, i want a professional with some type of guarantee on the installation. everyones situation is different and it was not worth the extra cost for me to do it.

3. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Thanks Tom.
    I know about them in general. I was at Lowe's and HomeDepot's websites and found the warranty periods are dismal for the cost of the units- 6yr., 9yr., 12yr..

I'm not sure, going to call to check on any utility rebate programs in Ohio?

4. ask lundy he's got one. And he knows a thing or two about piping!

5. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

I would recommend that if you get one, and you should, that you have a plumber install it. We have a Rinnai R85 tankless and it is priceless. Well I say priceless but it cost about 3x a regular water heater. We have several kids, not sure that they are all ours, and we could not survive without this unit. There is ALWAYS hot water when you need it and, like EZ said, your not heating it when you don't need it. Best of both worlds. Pays for itself quick.

6. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Thanks Josh, I didn't know Kim has one. ;) The piping crack is funny since selling it is his day-job! :D

PapawSmith - thanks for your recommendation. My family is now raised. I am interested in payback periods. I figure a trip to HomeDepot will be soon. ;)

7. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

In comparing the differences in Lowe's and HD's prices, Lowe's are higher. I don't know of the quality comparisons for them yet.

8. I had my heater replaced a couple of months ago. I mentioned the tankless system to my plumber and he somewhat discouraged me from buying it. He didn't exactly say that he didn't recommend it, he just said that it's really expensive and would require a totally different plumbing setup. The latest standard gas heaters are much more efficient than the older ones. If I had three daughters, it might be worth considering.

9. Fish2day

Fish2day member

Rumi, Look at what your tank type water heater is really costing you to run per month. I found that it's not very expensive in the overall cost of my gas bill. I looked to go tankless about 4 years ago and it was a very long payback time. The annual fuel costs are listed on the various appliances so you should be able to get all the information at Lowe's or HD to calculate your true savings. My bet is that it's not going to be as much savings as some salesman will try to convince you it is.

10. BEST THING GOING.

You can't try to reform the old fashion way of thinking. Like ole'plumbers.
    There are a few out there, do investigate them, talk to a REAL PLUMBER & find out what his thoughts are, In the long run you'll be well satisfied.
    Its the way of the future, improvements YEARLY.

Nik

11. I Fish

I Fish I am what I eat.

You didn't say gas or electric, but if it's electric, there is another new type. It has a tank that contains heated water, but instead of using the tanked water, it has a copper coil that cold water runs through and is heated before coming out. Therefore, you are not constantly heating new cold water in a tank. It's principal is the same as the condensation coil of a still, but in reverse. They are alot cheaper than on demand, and a little cheaper and substantially more efficient than conventional tank models. In high demand applications, they can be ran in a series. The only real maintenence required, is you have to check them yearly and refill the heat exchanger's water. They are plastic and have replaceable elements, so they should last a lifetime.

12. I Fish

I Fish I am what I eat.

13. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

Had a bud put one in his house a few years back. He lives alone, so he said the savings weren't that big. With more usage, you'll probably see more savings. His had a 20 or 30 year warranty though.
    He did like the on demand water.
    I have a shower with dual heads, and a jacuzzi tub in another bath -I plan
    on getting one because you never run out of hot water.

14. TIP....Go to your local Post Office and look for a moving kit (to change your address). In the kit s/b a 10% off coupon for Lowe's.

15. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Great info. and help, thanks guys.

Thanks for the link I Fish, it brought up some good stuff.

My case is one with natural gas. There are three energy choices I've seen- natural gas, LP gas, electricity.

I found the electrical choices require 220 electricity to be located at the "point of use" where the under the sink tank is put.
    This is a cost that has to be factored into any installation estimates.

16. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

I just finally got time to check out consumerreports.org where I have a subscription.
    Along with their article from a couple months ago- October, they had several other articles on tankless heaters with some great information.
    One of the things I found out is the payback periods. Sixteen years on out past twenty over a standard tank.

I figure to only be in this house for another 5-7 years at this point, so I'm going to have to look closely at my options, it probably won't pay for me to go tankless.

But I want to compare whatever tank I would pick with the tankless choices.

**I'm having a hard time finding comparisons for tank-type water heaters between themselves.
    Anyone know of any?

Ohio Edison has a couple rebates, but I didn't find any for an energy efficient, natural gas heated, tank type water heaters.
    Not sure yet about the tankless heaters.

17. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Jim,

I was in the same place you are about replacing a water heater.

The house I purchased last spring had two water heaters, one propane, one electric. The electric heater wasn't working and needed replaced. This house needed two heaters with all of the showers, laundry and jacuzzi tub.

After a bunch of research and PapawSmith's recommendation I had a Rinnai installed.

They are not inexpensive, but I removed two water heaters and we have endless hot water, we never run out of hot water.

To me it was not as much about the energy savings and the payback, it was more about putting in a trouble free system that will allow us to not have to worry about running out of hot water.

18. alan farver

alan farver purple raiders softball

i put ours in last spring.love it would never switch back.a couple tips for you make sure it is in a big room or a room where it can get a lot of air.these require quite a bit of air.also don't tighten the water filter in the unit to tight as it will effect pressure.as for different plumbing the only thing i had to change was the gas line from 1/2 to 3/4 in.got ours at home depot payed about a grand for everything including the stainless vent kit.make sure the vent is sloped down a little when it goes thru the wall so the condensation runs outside and not back in the heater.any question ask me and i will try to answer them

19. Jim i install water heaters not the tankless ones put shouldn't be a big deal unless you need a 220 line run, you might not have enough amps left in your box.I install mostly Reeam heaters from Hartville hardware and have had no problems with them.The ones from Home Depo are GE and had problems.
    If i can help let me know.
    FRED

20. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Thanks Kim, I appreciate you offering your experience.
    Ditto Alan and duckman.

Thanks alot for your offer Fred, I appreciate it. :B
    Check your pms. ;)
    Rheem makes a good water heater from what I've been told by a plumber.

At this point I may be going "tankless", not sure...