On Board Battery Chargers

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by fishdealer04, Feb 22, 2009.

1. I have been looking into getting an on board battery charger. I did a couple of searches on line and also looked on BPS and Cabela's website.

I have not not been able to find one that seems to be consitent in terms of durability and performance.

BPS line of charger got terrible reviews, so I want to stay away from that. I have heard that Minn Kota makes a nice charger, but again read a lot of reviews of them breaking within months of use.

As of right now I use a single battery charger, charging one battery at a time, it would be nice to have something that would charge them all, but at the same time I dont want to spend hundreds of dollars on something that is not going to last and do the job.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Or should I just stick to what I am doing with the single battery charger?

2. jennis9

jennis9 Fish against the fish...

Cabela's ProSport II On-Board Marine Battery Charger -- 12 amp

We have this one and LOVE it. It has some great features and distributes the load between our two batteries. So if our main needs 8 and our second needs 4 it takes care of distribution automatically. Iy has two banks and only set us back $139.

Not sure what kind of boat you have, but there are a ton of suggestions at iboats dot com -- do a search for battery charging.

3. It would be going on a Crestliner 1650 Sport (Deep V)

I will have to look on iboats and see what I can find.

How long have you had it for?

4. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

I've had my MK 210 for the past year and a half - love it. So easy just to plug in the extension cord and know my batteries will be ready for the next trip.

5. heyjay

heyjay Where's the fish ?

I have a Minnkota 330 (3 bank) and it has worked great the 3 years I have had it. I fish electric only lakes and have 5 batteries to run my 101 and 80 lb trolling motors plus a seperate battery for electronics. Due to the flexibility in my job I'm able to fish 3 or more times a week so it has been used ALOT.

6. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

My old boat has the Guest 2613 three bank charger, 9 years later and it's still charging with never an issue.

New boat has the Minn Kota MK315 three bank charger it's a bigger unit mounted to the back wall of the livewell.

What's really nice about these units is you get home plug them in and your done, the old boat I always left the unit plugged in all the time, and never had an issue with any battery, as always you have to do regular battery maintenance and you won't have any issues...........Doc

7. I have a very good one for sale on the classifieds very reasonably priced.
    Thanks,
    Jim

8. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Bit by Musky bug

I have always used Dual Pro as well, they come standard in Ranger Boats. I've never had any problems at all with them, they charge quickly enough for me even on back to back to back days of tourney fishing, I use electric motors so I really use my battery's alot always charged up in the morning

I guess the MK's are very good units as well. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

9. I have a Minnkota 330 I will sell. I have lenghtened one of the cabels to reach the length of the boat. I have also installed aligator clips but I will change to terminals if that's what you want. One of the clips has corrosion anyway. I bout it used last year and it has worked fine for me. I decided not to mount it in my boat so I have other chargers I can use. $185 shipped.

10. What kind of amps should I be looking at getting? I have my starting battery which also runs my electronics as well as a battery for my trolling motor. I have a third battery for running my bait tank (this one I can charge individually as it doesnt use much.

So I am looking at a 2 bank charger, I think I read somewhere to get at least 10 amps?

11. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

I also recommend Dual Pro, I have one on my 1995 Ranger and its still works perfectly. If you go with another barnd the main the thing look for is a unit that shuts off completely when charged and then kicks back on as needed, not a unit that goes to a trickle charge when batterys are charged.
    I leave my batteries in all year long and the charger always plugged in . First set of batteries lasted 8 years and I use them hard