? on Battery/Starter Cable

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Big Mo, Apr 30, 2008.

  1. Big Mo

    Big Mo "Work Hard, Play Harder"

    167
    17
    673
    The cable form the battery to the starter heated up and melted the plastic on my 1996 MAriner 30 hp. Do I need to replace this plastic casing and cable or can I wrap in electrical tape tightly to reinsulate and be functionaly equaivalent to before the heating up. Any help is really appreciated, I am short on cash and don't want to spend more $ on boat, wife already not happy!
    :C
     
  2. My first thought is why did the cable get so hot?
     

  3. NUM1FIRE

    NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

    i agree with hunt for bass. would wife be happy and u not happy because u didnt want to find out why cable got hot and burnt up the boat because u didnt want to fix it right? hopefully u got insurance just asking
     
  4. Big Mo

    Big Mo "Work Hard, Play Harder"

    167
    17
    673
    I used my trolling battery, other battery died, and I think it was too much voltage for the starter cable-? That is only thing I can figure-- God point I didnt think of though! Do you think cable is bad?
     
  5. NUM1FIRE

    NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

    i dont think it is bad i think it could be the wrong size of cable for what u are useing it for.
     
  6. freyedknot

    freyedknot useless poster

    your starter is drawing too many amps and burnt your cable. i would take the starter off and have it checked for amp draw at autozone or the like before you try another cable. and i would not reccomend the tape thingy. you don't want a fire aboard with the water being as cold as it is now.if you cant afford a cable ,then you prolly can,t afford another starter either? on another note.... make sure all starter connections are clean and tight. a loose or corroded connection will boost amp draw too.
     
  7. I would have to agree you have a starter problem ,,short or the wrong size cable
     
  8. I was fishing a tournament years ago in an old boat I had....after getting to what I thought was going to be a pretty good spot, in went the baits, about 15 minutes in the entire right side of the boat was full of nasty black smoke!!! seems the starter did not disengage when I killed the motor....I was left with an entire electrical system that had melted into an ugly mess...and I was lucky!!!

    I can appreciate the $$ issues but in the long run it will cost less to fix it right than to replace the boat ---- good luck!
     
  9. I am assuming both battries were 12 volt. How can one 12 volt battery be too much voltage as compared to another 12 volt battery. A more likley theory is something is wrong with your electrical system that killed the 1st battery. Get it checked out!
     
  10. i bet the + cable was loose at the starter= dead battery and overdraw of amps= melted cable...happened to me...replace cable and check all connections...
     
  11. "I don't know, but I've been told.."* It's the amps not the volts! I think a starter would draw more then a trolling motor.




    *Grateful Dead
     
  12. Big Mo

    Big Mo "Work Hard, Play Harder"

    167
    17
    673
    You guys convinced me, I am taking it to marina this weekend-- I am going to Chataqua on Memorial weekend and need it runnign well-- Thnaks Mo
     
  13. NUM1FIRE

    NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

    a starter might draw more in a shorter amount of time but i think a trolling motor to small might draw more power over a longer period of time at a continueious use might cause the cable to get a lot warmer. i could be way off here it is only a guess though. glad to hear that u are going to get it checked out. mine goes to the marina this monday to get looked at but for a diff reason.