close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

OMC trolling motor

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Crawl, Aug 27, 2005.

1. I just bought a '97 Stratos that came with a old OMC trolling motor. Does anyone have any idea what lb thrust these were? Also, if you have it on for more than 20 seconds it turns off. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem? At least it's not blowing fuses!
    Thanks, Jason

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I have a 97 Stratos with an OMC motor as well. If it's the same model (probably is) its a 56lb. Sounds like the problem could be in the orange switch connection. For starters, I'd get in there and make sure the connections are good.

3. I checked all of the connections in the pedal and on top of the head and everything looks great. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks, Jason

4. I don't know if you can contact the prior owner or not but if so I would try to find out whether this is a problem that existed then as well. Worst case you may have a motor going bad and it is overloading and tripping an internal overload switch. Hoepfully that is not the case. After it turns off does it switch right back on when you start it or do you have to wait a few minutes?

I have probably the same trolling motor as that one on my boat. It is a pretty decent unit and seems to be holding up pretty well. Hopefully you can say the same once someone points you to the real problem.;)

5. After it shuts off I have to wait about 10-15 seconds and then it will come bak on but will shut right back off right away. The longer you let it go the longer she will run so it's definitley getting too warm and tripping off. I wish I could figure it out!
    Thanks, Jason

6. It does sound more like a bad motor but I don't know enough about them myself to say for sure. I hope I am wrong.

7. Sounds like a good enough reason to go buy a new tr. motor!
    It does run great though when it's running!

8. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Give Ty Clarkston at Boat Things in Columbus a call. He can most likely answer your question.

9. Found out what the problem is! I have a bad cell in my battery which is causing it to shut off! Alot cheaper to buy a new battery than a new trolling motor!
    Thanks- Jason

10. You gotta love it when good news like that happens. It is good to know it did not die on you. I have heard a lot of folks swear by the old OMC's being durable. I am becoming a living testament to it as well.;)