close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Olentangy Today?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Mushijobah, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Hey All,

Has anyone driven over or seen the Olentangy today? The usgs streamlevels are contradictory. I don't know if it's and error or not. How does it look?

2. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

I drove over it twice at Henderson rd this morning.

I wasn't completely paying attention, but I always glance when I go over it, of course, with fishing always on the mind!

anyway, it looked decent. not blown out or anything. hope this helps!

3. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

4. Utard

Utard

When I drove over it at 36 in Delaware this morning around 7:15 it looked no different than it has for the past week.

5. I am planning to kayak olentangy today, about 6 pm, around tuttle park

6. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

In case this is of any use to you folks, I put together a page with a few Olentangy and Scioto gauges for the FOSR site, at:

sciotoriverfriends.org/stream_gauges.html

7. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Yeah there has to be some sort of error in the readings. I sent USGS an email about it. Hey Leckig...Come fish below the 5th ave. dam sometime, it's been hot!

8. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

Mushijobah, do you need to have waders to fish the area below the 5th ave dam?

9. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

No, look at it now. They are letting a steady 2000 CFS at the dam and the Worthington gauge is just about to hit 900 now. Looks like it needs a few more hours. This will be great to grab screen shots that show perfectly how long a pulse like that takes to get from Delaware to Worthington - a lot longer than I would have guessed.

You can change the lookback on those graphs, try setting it to 2 days.

I would post links but I can't until after my 5th post.

10. mkombe

mkombe Hack Fisherman

Mushijobah-

Mind if I ask what you were using for bait down by the 5th avenue bridge?

Ive never caught a smallie before and would love to tackle a few. I used to live real close to that area and always wondered about it but didnt know about access.

Thanks!

11. I am sorry, but I cannot understand this. Are you saying that the water level is going to go up in couple of hours or down?

I drove Dodridge during lunch time and the water was very low.

EDIT: I looked at the graph - it looks like the water will go much higher tonight

12. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

I'm amazed on how long that took with such a short distance. I have experienced much quicker rises at Alum Creek far downstream after a release. Two USGS workers emailed me back explaining the whole situation. This is kind of sucky for fishing, but at least it now makes sense!

13. i drove down 23 today north of delaware and noticed the division of watercraft officers were doing some swift water rescue training, i think that is why they were releasing water, it usually doesn't take very long to raise the water level but it takes a little longer for it to drop once the gates are closed.

14. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

Check those two gauges sometime when we get a downpour, you'll see they close the dam so there is almost no flow, but the Worthington gauge will show a huge spike, because of all the impermeable surfaces (pavement, roofs) in the developed 23 corridor between Delaware and Columbus. It's no wonder the people along the Olentangy (like at Mount Air or Northmoor Park) are sweating bullets.

Delaware Dam is the last point of control on the Olentangy, and the only thing preventing flash flooding below that is the use of stormwater controls like those catch basins they require these days around large lots and buildings. But there are older places like the shopping center at Bethel and Olentangy, where acres of pavement just flush down storm sewers to the river.

15. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Great analysis on the problems of intricate/urban storm-sewerage.

16. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

So here's our answer, the release started approximately 4:30 in the morning and it hit Worthington at around 3:00 that afternoon.

Attached Files:

17. when I was driving back home at 5:15 pm yesterday, the river @ dodridge was still low. But when I got back with the kayak at 6 pm, it was already much higher, silty and completely unfishable. It was still fun to kayak.

Question: I am sure there must be a reason for that, I would like to know it. Why you cannot release the water slowly by keeping the dam open less for longer period of time? That way the water level would not fluctuate that much which would be better for the wildlife. Kick me if I am wrong, please.

18. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

They can, but I don't know why they didn't. It also looks like they ran the level down first, before the release. Maybe they were doing some work somewhere and they needed it low.

I have seen Delaware lake flood across 229 in the past.

19. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

The office at Delaware once told me it took eight hours for the water to get to the Worthington sensor.

Maybe Alum has a steeper fall and the water travels faster?