close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Olentangy Smallies

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Utard, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Utard

Utard

Spent a couple hours on Saturday evening on the Tangy in Delaware. This was my first time down there and went on the spur of the moment (sorry brhoff!). I wasn't expecting much, but to my surprise landed 7 little SMB. The first one, which was the biggest of the day at 12", scared the crap out of me because I really wasn't expecting much. He was caught on an olive bugger with bead chain eyes. Also caught one with an olive BH leach, but the real fish catcher of the day was (big surprise here) a clouser minnow-orange over brown. Most of the fish hit on the down stream swing, but I did find a few while stripping back upstream in the slower areas hunkered down right in next to the rocks.

I was surprised at the number of cold water spring-seeps on the western side of the river. Is that typical for the Tangy?

Also, I noticed a couple of the fish had a little white worms (I'm guessing parasitic) that were burrowing into the fish's flesh. I tried to extract one for a closer look, but it was really stuck in (kind of like a tick does). Any ideas what that could be?

Saw a few sipping what I can only guess were midges or terrestrials that I couldn't see off the top, but very sporadic. All in all, I was pleasantly surprised at the Olentangy.

2. Sounds similar to my trip this past weekend on the 'tangy. bead-head olive woolly buggers with a bit of crystal flash did the trick. Stalked a couple of carp, but no luck.

All of mine were pretty small as well, biggest was about 10". Nice hatch came off at about 8:00.

3. "I was surprised at the number of cold water spring-seeps on the western side of the river. Is that typical for the Tangy?"
    Just about anywhere there is shale I have found some of these. There are a bunch of them behind the Boy Scout camp.

I love the Olentangy. To me it's a fly fishers paradise. The water is, for the most part, not overly deep, has a nice varity of flows and has some wonderful scenery.

4. Utard

Utard

I was there at 8:00 pm on saturday, but I didn't really notice a hatch of anything. What was it that you saw? My guess would be a mayfly variation hatch. I saw a good number of mayfly larvae on the most of the overturned rocks I inspected. Most of them were dark brown, with a few lighter colored ones. I didn't notice much surface activity ( a little bit ) but it could have been a localized hatch. Where were you fishing?

I also noticed that there were a HUGE number of crawfish there. I'm talking a HUGE number. Anytime I waded through shallow water or walked along the bank I saw the little buggers scurrying everywhere. This probably explains why the brown and olive streamers were working. I just tied up a crawfish fly last night using some materials I got from a recent swap on another forum. It is very simple and looks great. Check the "craw-fly thread for the recipe.