Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
I hit the olentangy river for the first time today, it was really muddy and the current was fast. I am happy to report that I managed to catch a solid 16" smallmouth and a little largemouth despite the conditions. Both fish came off a spinnerbait fished around areas where the current was either slack or slightly broken.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Nice! I think you have the first photographed fish caught from the "destroyed fishery" that is the old 5th ave. dam impoundment.....I say "destroyed fishery" in an extremely sarcastic tone.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha thanks, I only got to fish for a couple hours, I was going to fish more but some guys planting trees said I had to leave. I'm thinking about heading back tomo to a different part of the river where construction isn't going on, any suggestions? The only condition is that the water needs to be shore accessible.

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
I was going to fish more but some guys planting trees said I had to leave
Yeah the contractors are a bit like beavers, territorial and not friendly to intruders *G*

That work is moving northward, flee that way and you can get ahead of them. And, you should watch these gauges to know what flow to expect:

below the dam:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?c...format=gif_default&period=31&site_no=03225500

at Wilson Bridge:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?c...format=gif_default&period=31&site_no=03226800

Right now they have a LOT of water to get out of the reservoir so the river will be high for a while.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Thats pretty sweet, I know that outfall/hole area pretty well as I used to jog along there. Prior to the Dam removal that wasn't even a hole/eddy/current break there, not to mention there wasn't any suitable habitat for smallmouth, period. Now your're catching them in chocolate milk raging water. Should be some good fishing once the water comes down.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Yeah I saw that there was a dam removal, so before it was removed, the water there was not suitable for bass? I guess I moved here at the right time haha, how long ago was the dam removed?
Dam removal would have been about 8 months ago (I think?). Before it was removed all you could catch from that area were Largemouth and Carp, and the LM's were few and far between. Like you see that stretch of bank line just north of where you were fishing? All of that used to be covered by a stagnant pool of water, with an almost pure muck bottom.

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
Yeah I saw that there was a dam removal, so before it was removed, the water there was not suitable for bass? I guess I moved here at the right time haha, how long ago was the dam removed?
You missed a show here. There was a member who was furious at dam removals, to the point of disrupting a public event about the 5th Ave dam.

plink plink plink plink plink plink plink this was 8/28/2012

Attachments

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Haha wow, why was that member upset? It seems like the dam removal is a good thing, is it not?
This member had exclusive access to launch his boat in the pool behind the dam. He would launch his boat then film TV shows with the horseshoe in the background. He was more or less upset that "his" (literally he was the only one allowed back there in a boat) fishing hole was going to disappear. He argued that once the Dam was removed you weren't going to be able to catch anything...

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
He argued that once the Dam was removed you weren't going to be able to catch anything
FLOW was saying the fish diversity and populations were suffering in the stagnant water behind the dam. While the event was going on, someone in the river below us caught a fish. The member then started yelling NOW YOU TELL ME THERE'S NO FISH IN THAT RIVER but the guy fishing was below the dam, not fishing the pool behind the dam.

·
I jig therefore I am!
5,318 Posts
This member had exclusive access to launch his boat in the pool behind the dam. He would launch his boat then film TV shows with the horseshoe in the background. He was more or less upset that "his" (literally he was the only one allowed back there in a boat) fishing hole was going to disappear. He argued that once the Dam was removed you weren't going to be able to catch anything...
Where is the launch? I never realized he had exclusive access to anything. Interesting.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Where is the launch? I never realized he had exclusive access to anything. Interesting.
I believe Mushi knows where he put in, im nearly certain he was the only one able to get access to said spot, although I could be wrong.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I was in this very spot today. No luck. Used spinner bait, grub, senkos, crawdad. Had most bites on grub rigged weedless. A friends GF caught a cat, two little bass on worm and bobber.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts